Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

how do you remove rear rotors from a 2004 silverado 3500

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Below are directions for removing the rotor:

• Raise the vehicle.
  • Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  • Remove the brake caliper bracket. It is not necessary to remove the brake caliper from the bracket.
  • Remove the axle shaft.
  • Object
    View Full Image

• Object
    View Full Image

• Remove the axle nut retaining ring.
    Object
    View Full Image

• Remove the key.
    Object
    View Full Image

• Remove the adjusting nut using the j2222-c
    Object
    View Full Image

• Remove the adjusting nut.
    Object
    View Full Image

Important: Inspect the axle spindle to ensure that the hub seal has not remained on the axle. The hub seal must be removed before the hub assembly can be installed.

• Remove the hub from the axle housing.
  • Place the hub and rotor assembly on a hydraulic press.
  • Press the wheel studs out of the hub and rotor assembly.
  • Object
    View Full Image
  • Align the hub and the rotor (if applicable).
  • Install each of the new wheel studs into the hub and rotor assembly by performing the following steps:
    2.1. Install the stud.
    2.2. Install 4 washers to the stud.
    2.3. Install a lug nut to the stud with the flat side of the nut towards the washers.
    2.4. Tighten the lug nut to draw the stud into the hub and rotor assembly.
    2.5. Inspect the hub and rotor assembly to ensure that the hub is tight against the rotor and the stud is seated completely.
    2.6. Remove the lug nut and the washers.

•  

• Important: The wheel hub seal must be replaced anytime the wheel hub assembly is removed from the axle housing.

• Lubricate the following with a light coat of high melting point EP bearing lubricant:

The outer wheel bearing
    The inner wheel bearing
    The outer wheel bearing cup
    The inner wheel bearing cup
    The axle housing

• Important: The rubber outer sealing rings of the oil seal must be driven into the wheel hub first.

• Important: If the wheel hub assembly does not fully seat itself onto the axle shaft spindle and is removed, the wheel hub seal must be replaced.

• Tighten the wheel bearing adjusting nut using the J 2222-C .

Rotate the hub in the opposite direction to the way the adjuster nut is turning.

Ensure the inner bearing and the seal seats against the spindle shoulder.

Tighten
    Tighten the adjusting nut to 70 N·m (52 lb ft).

• Turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise until the nut is loose using the J 2222-C .
  • Turn the adjusting nut clockwise until the nut contacts the bearing cone. Torque on the nut must be zero to finger tight.
    Object
    View Full Image

• Insert the adjusting nut lock key into the keyway using one of the following procedures:
    If the adjusting nut slot is in alignment with the keyway in the axle spindle, insert the adjusting nut lock key into the keyway in the axle spindle.

Important: Do not turn the adjusting nut more than one slot counterclockwise in order to align the adjusting nut slot with the keyway in the axle spindle.

If the adjusting nut slot is not aligned with the keyway in the axle spindle, turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise until the adjusting nut slot is in alignment with the keyway in the axle spindle and insert the adjusting nut lock key.

Object
    View Full Image

• Install the retaining ring.
  • Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
    Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
    hi