GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1995 Chevy Tahoe: distributor cap..5.7L..I am trying to set the timing

Customer Question

What is the proper setting of the distributor cap on a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 5.7L? I am trying to set the timing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. The proper setting is zero degrees but you need to disconnect the timing connector. It is a single tan/black connector under the glove box.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

hi the timeing is ompletely controled by the computer

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

#1 Cylinder
Locations
Firing Order

Spark Plug Wire Routing

Spark Plug Wire Routing Right Side
Spark Plug Wire Routing Left Side

Wire routings must be kept intact during service and followed exactly when wires have been disconnected or when replacement of the wires is necessary. Failure to route the wires properly can lead to radio ignition noise and crossfiring of the plugs or shorting of the leads to ground
Adjustments

Description

TEST PROCEDURE
The ignition timing cannot be adjusted. The distributor may need adjusting to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of the distributor, perform the following:

1. With the ignition OFF, install a scan tool to the DLC.
  2. Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature. IMPORTANT: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM.
  3. Increase engine speed to 1000 RPM.
  4. Monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
  5. If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0°+/-2°, the distributor is properly adjusted.
  6. If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0°+/-2°, the distributor must be adjusted.

ADJUSTING PROCEDURE

1. With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt. IMPORTANT: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM.
  2. Start the engine and raise engine speed to 1000 RPM.
  3. Using a scan tool monitor Cam Retard Offset.
  4. Rotate the distributor as follows:
4.1.To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
4.2.To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
  1. Repeat step 4 until 0°+/-2°, is obtained.
  2. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 3 Nm (25 lb. ft.).
  4. Start the engine, raise engine speed to 1000 RPM and recheck Camshaft Retard Offset
Tims would be correct if you have a 96 with the vortec, but in 95 the 5.7L is not the vortec and the timing is as I said. Tims should not have posted on our discussion.