akcarguy
akcarguy, Chevy Technician
Experience:  schooled, trained,love the wierd stuff

98 chevy: 10, 2.2 2wd..tranny fluid..manual transmission

98 chevy s-10, 2.2 2wd. What type and how tranny fluid in a manual transmission?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  akcarguy replied 5 years ago.
below are the steps to change the fluid, the fluid type youre needing is 90W gear oil. note: to add fluid easier, use 90w bottle and stick a piece of fuel hose about 10 inches long on the end of the spout on the gear oil bottle, this will let you stick the hose in the fill/check hole and fill easier without spilling. also the plugs the steps speak of will come off in two ways, either a ratchet head sticks into them and twists them out, or they will be large 15/16- 1 inch bolts. should be on driver side.

Step 1Turn the car off and make sure it has cooled off. Jack the car up and place the jack stands under the frame rails under the front sides of the car.

Step 2Get under the car and locate the transmission. On the side of the transmission are two plugs, one high and one low. The lower plug is the drain for the transmission and the higher plug is to check the fluid level.

Step 3Remove the highest plug and stick your finger in the hole. If there is fluid on your finger, there is enough fluid in the transmission. If you don't feel any fluid, then the fluid level is too low.

Step 4Place the catch pan under the plugs. Remove the lower drain plug to drain the transmission fluid. This will be messy as the fluid will pour out of the hole.

Step 5Replace the lower plug once all the fluid is let out. Insert the pump into the top hole and pour the fluid into it. Put fluid into the transmission until it reaches the top hole and then insert the top plug.

Step 6Get out from under the car, remove the catch pan and jack stands. Lower the car.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your the first with 90 weight. How much? I've already drained it and it doesn't look like 90 wieght
Expert:  akcarguy replied 5 years ago.
Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 by AMSOIL   
Designed for manual transmissions and transaxles with synchromesh systems that require light viscosity, non-extreme-pressure fortified oil. Additive technology provides proper friction characteristics for smooth shifting. The ultimate in gear and bearing protection & outperforms motor oils in manual transmissions

Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid by PENNZOIL

and royal purple gear lube are the replacment fluids, the 90W is for extreme conditions such as where i live, i apologize, yours fills with the above fluids, and it will take 2 1/2 to 3 quarts to fill.
these oils are similar to 5w30 and 10w30, which is the fluid listed in your owners manual. some people refill their manual transmissions with automatic fluid and say its nothing different, when it is in fact completely different and should not be done
akcarguy, Chevy Technician
Experience: schooled, trained,love the wierd stuff