AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 Chevy Tahoe, will turn over and start, but wont stay

Customer Question

2002 Chevy Tahoe, will turn over and start, but won't stay running. dies. Had a diagnostic test couldn't find anything. Called the dealership, said fuel pump. Changed the fuel pump, and still doing it. took apart the sterring column and fussed around with it, got it running....started to drive it home died again after about 2 miles.

Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

We need to see if you are loosing spark and or fuel. When this happens, lets see if it continues to run on starting fluid.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can you text that to XXX-XXX-XXXX, my husband is with the car. his name is Dan.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Lol... I would love to! But I do not think JA will let me!

I think that would be a good idea though!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Has 60 pds fuel pressure, has spark, replaced fuel pump and filter...when the steering column is jiggled..its starts and runs but dies soon after.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

So when the engine dies, will it stay running with starting fluid?

Are we loosing spark when this happens?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it stays running with starting fluid, not loosing spark. It seems to die now when its under load.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

EXCELLENT!

This is what I needed to know!

If if you are positive it will continue running with starting fluid and the fuel pressure is at 60 psi, this simply means we are loosing fuel trigger.

We will need to find a clever way to check for power and for a ground signal trigger at the injectors when this happens. After we know which way to go we can pull a wiring diagram and go from there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've checked and have good ground at the injectors, all are working. Vehicle runs intermitinely. Checked wiring in the steering column, no loose wires. Ignition switch feels warm after a few minutes of running. When put in gear and driven, vehicle dies.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

WOW!

SOunds like we might have a bad ignition switch. From what I can gather from what you are telling me is that the engine looses fuel for one reason or another. It sounds like the ignition switch is going bad and cutting off power to some of the components under the hood.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks...I guess I will replace it tomorrow. Is there tests I should do first? Can I email you tomorrow if that doesn't work?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Dana & Dan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

SUre you bet!

I will get a wiring diagram for you....

Give me a second.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks....your awesome.

Dana
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Ok...

Here is what I found.

You are going to want to be sure you have power coming out of the ignition switch on the following wires. Be sure to check these wires for power with the key on.

Brown wire

Orange wire

Pink wire

White wire

graphic

graphic