Michael Moore
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.

2007 Chevy: starts blowing hot air..cold air back..restart

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado. The A/C will start blowing hot air for no reason what so ever and with no warning. Once it starts blowing hot air, the only way I can get the cold air back is to shut the truck off and restart it. It will blow cold for anywhere from 3 hours to 3 minutes before doing it again.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 7 years ago.

Is the truck the new body style or the classic body style??

Does the passengers side blow hot or cold when this happens??

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does this happen just to the drivers side vents??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
all vents
You need to find out when it does this, if the compressor is running. It may be cutting off if both all vents are going hot. There are 2 a/c lines going in to the fire wall on the passengers side under the hood, feel these lines when the a/c blows hot. The lines should be almost ice cold. If they are not cold, then the compressor is turning off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, but that may take a while because as I stated, it may be okay for anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 hours. Is the blend door controlled electronically? Because the air doesn't just get warm like the A/C is off but really hot like the heat is on.

The a/c temp doors are controled by eletrical actuators, They do go bad, when they do, the a/c controller will cammand them to full hot. This is a common concern on this body style truck. Normally when this happens, it happens to the drivers or the passengers side vents, not both at the same time.

Let me know what happens.