ssnyder
ssnyder, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs service tech gm dealership

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Venture. I need to replace the EGR

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Venture. I need to replace the EGR Valve. Do I need to move the engine forward to replace this valve?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ssnyder replied 5 years ago.
hello is it a 3.4 litre 3400? engine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3.4 L
Expert:  ssnyder replied 5 years ago.

ok i never di i would use a swivel head 10 mm ratchet wrench to remove the two bolts but crack the egr pipe bolt loose first you can pull both motor mount bbolts from the front top and put a ratchet strap on one of them and pull the motor forward but if you remove the air cleaner box you really shouldnt have to ill attatch this info for ya ok

1. Raise the wipers to the full upright position and turn OFF the ignition switch.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    Object Number: 507392  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  3. Disconnect the EGR valve electrical connector.
  4. Remove the Bolt retaining the pipe assembly from the EGR valve and carefully pull the pipe assembly back.
  5. Remove the EGR Valve retaining bolts.
  6. Remove EGR valve assembly.
  7. Remove the gasket.

Installation Procedure

• Install the EGR Valve with a new gasket to the intake manifold.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

• Reinstall the Bolts through the EGR valve.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

• Connect the pipe assembly to the EGR valve.
  • Reinstall the Bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

• Connect the EGR valve electrical connector.

• Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Lower the wipers to the parked position
  • ssnyder, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 16 yrs service tech gm dealership