BOBBYSS, Master Technician

2004 Chevy Aveo: Hatchback..the engine stopped..engine wont start

I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo Hatchback. While driving today, the engine stopped unexpectedly as if it ran out of gas. Now, the engine won't start. It cranks normally. There is a spark at the speark plugs and there is fuel in the fuel rail that the injectors are connected to. Everything in the engine compartment looks good.

The engine had the timing belt replaced about 10,000 miles ago and has been running great since then.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer how many miles are on the vehicle? Can you smell fuel in the exhaust after cranking the engine a few times?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The car has about 85,000 miles and I do not smell fuel in the exhaust.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
Okay. And does the security light come on or flash when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think so. All of the lights on the dashboard appear to act as they normally do when trying to start the car. Is there anything that I should specifically look for?

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
I would try adding fuel directly into the engine to see if it starts. If it does then you know there is a fuel system issue. Eventhough there is fuel at the fuel rail the pump may not be putting out adequate pressure. If that does not work then there is a good change that the timing belt may have slipped. It is common for this to happen on this engine even with a fairly new belt.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will check the timing belt. Is there anything else I should look at when I check the timing belt?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
I would start with the belt. Also be sure to check the cam and crank sensors.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took a look and found that the timing belt broken. This is strange because a new one was put on about 12,0000 miles ago. The engine was running great ever since the new timing belt was put on. (It should be noted that I bought the timing belt on eBay. It was very low cost, so it may have been of poor quality.)

After finding the broken timing belt, I put a new one on, but the car wouldn't start. The engine seems to crank normally when trying to start it. Also, the cam shafts can be turn by hand (with the timing belt off) and everything seems to be in order in that they are not seized and I can see the valve lifters moving up and down smoothly.

So, the facts are that the car was runing fine up to the moment the timing belt broke. A new timing belt was put on, but the car wouldn't start. I am getting a good spark and gas seems to be getting into the cylinders. Any ideas on what might be wrong? I have read that this engine can sustain damage if the timing belt breaks. What parts are typically damaged?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if the timing belt breaks on this engine it is very common for the pistons to hit and bend the valves. You need to remove the cylinder head from the vehicle and get the valves checked and have any bent ones replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would a bent valve cause the car not to start, or merely not run very well?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
It typically will cause the vehicle not to start. Especially such a small engine. It will keep the engines compression from building up. If you have a compression gauge this will let you know which cylinders are bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 years ago.
No problem. Let me know if you need more help on the road to fixing this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How much pressure should each cylinder read?