Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2002 Chevy cavalier: ABS will engage..traction control..speed sensor

2002 Chevy cavalier Auto trans...

'Trac off', 'ABS', and 'service' lights all come on after driving the car a bit. Before they come on, ABS will engage entirely too readily, as well as traction control. Vehicle speed sensor to blame? And is this located on the back of the trans, below the oil filter?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
This means one of your wheel speed sensors is failing. You can bring vehicle to shop with high end scan tool and they can tell you what sensor. Considering the sensor is not completely failed it will be hard to test without a scantool. You could remove each sensor one at a time and clean mounting area to make sure there is not too large of air gap. Each wheel speed sensor is located diretly behind the wheel it is a 2 wire sensor. Let me know if you have any questions. The vehicle speed sensor is located on the transmission but has nothing to do with abs. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are there wheel speed sensors for the rear wheels? I removed the front two this morning and made sure I put them back in tight, the area was very clean. Codes still pop up.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The rear wheel speed sensors and rings are integral with the hub and bearing assemblies. If a speed sensor or a ring needs replacement, replace the entire hub and bearing assembly. You will need to bring vehicle to shop so they can monitor wheel speed sensors on scantool and then you can replace the sensor yourself, but there is no way to tell what seensor it is unless the light stays on. Then you can backprobe the wires at the sensor and check for ac voltage while spinning tire. Whatever sensor does not put out ac voltage needs to be replaced. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are the fronts seperate? Thank you for your help. I'll tell my dad to get it into the shop.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Yes, front are seperate. Here is a picture.......The sensor gets its readings from the metal ring tht is right behind it. You can also try to clean these rings and wipe them off. If there are metal shavings on them this can set incorrect abs readings. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Awesome thanks! First time user of this site... Now in my bookmarks!
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I'm happy I was able to help. Thanks again and have a good weekend.