Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

have chevy trailblazer and the gear shift is locked up cant

have chevy trailblazer and the gear shift is locked up cant press brake to engage shift lights and everything else is working could it be security system
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
When you press the brake pedal do the brake lights operate? Do you have access to a voltmeter or a test lamp?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

brake lights operate just cant move the gear shift sorry no access to voltmeter or test lamp

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
What year is this trailblazer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2002
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Ok, just to make sure, this vehicle does start up and run, but simply will not go into gear is this correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the car will not start i cant press the brake in
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Ok, with the key in the on position does the radio and lights work as they should? Also do you have any signs of a security indicator on the instrument panel with the key in the on position? What happens when you press the brake pedal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

radio and lights work not sure about security indicator when i press brake it does not press down as far as it normally does to engage gear shift

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Can you explain a bit more what happens when you try to start this vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the gear shift indicator shows it is in reverse but the actual gear shift is in park but the car wont start at all the button you push on the side of the gear shift will not press in
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Ok this is a problem. Here is what I would recommend. First off, gm actually has a bulletin about the shifter boot actually getting in front of the shifter and detering it from fully going into park. So at this point I would really like you to verify that the shifter boot is not pinched in front of the shifter. If this is the case, I would recommend that you pull the boot out of the way and then try to put the shifter totally into park. If this checks out, you are going to need to simulate that the vehicle is in park, and actually put 12 volts to the fuse labeled BTSI in the under hood fuse block. With voltage to this fuse, you will need to press the brake pedal and then move the shift lever to park. It almost sounds that the shift lever was not totally in park when the key was removed. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems!
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION