goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

2005 Silverado has anyone heard of the fuel tank refusing to

2005 Silverado has anyone heard of the fuel tank refusing to accept gas my tank spits fuel back at me when I try to fill it up . I can only add 4 to6 gallons at a time and when I open my gas cap a loud air noise comes from tank like it is building up pressure even after I had a small brass plug or something removed from vent line the has to be the most aggravating thing I've ever seen it takes me 10 minutes to get 6 gals of gas in my tank I'm ready to have my tank taken out and put in the bed of my truck HELP!
Hello, and welcome. do you have any warning lights coming on? like a check engine light?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a check engine light on only because i changed my exhaust and this problem occured 10,000 miles after change only recentally I have gotten this problem filling tank it acts like something maybe floating up and not relieving pressure as I try to fill tank
Ok, the most common problem for this concern is a evap vent solenoid. this soleniod sticks closed and does not allow the fuel tank vent off the excess pressure in the tank. thus causing it hard to fill. there is a updated vent solenoid to help agianst any further further vent solenoid problems. would you like the parts numbers and the repair procedure?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes I would like these

Ok, great.

Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.

Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.

Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.

Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) to remove the quick connect end.

Crew Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

Extended Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.

Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.

Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.

Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve

one more thing, you will about 10 feet of 5/8 heater hose to install this kit