Cory, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  14 years GM experience ASE Master Tech

I have a 1999 Chevy S10 Blazer. The fuel pressure reads 45lbs.

I have a 1999 Chevy S10 Blazer. The fuel pressure reads 45lbs. It does not start on it's own. If i give a little shot of ether it fires up and seems to run fine. I'm thinking it's the pump, am I correct?

Hi there. Yes you are correct the popets on the injectors will not fire until fuel pressure reaches 55psi.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why is the vehicle starting when i spray ether in it? I understand the ether is being burnt, but the motor keeps running and i can drive it that way.

Does the fuel pressure increase after it starts?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When it's running, it's at 50psi. When you shut it off it stays at fifty or so. Then, it will start up again and run for a few seconds, die, and the pressure will be 45 again.

Even at 50 psi I,m amazed it will even run. The reason it will increase when it running is because the alternator increases the voltage. You fuel pump is just an electric motor with an impeller and plastic housing and the brushes are wearing out on the armiture. This is very common problem to verifiy this you can hook an ampmeter up the fuel pump relay terminal 30 and positive terminal of you battery and if the amperage is more or less the 6 to 9 amps the pump is most likely the cause
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

With the key on and pump off it's at about 5 amps, when the pump is on, it's approximately 25-30 amps

That proves it I would replace that fuel pump befor it blows the ecm b fuse of melts the connector at the fuel pump module. I hope I was able to help you if you have any other quuestions let me know.