lazydog76
lazydog76, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10 years exp professional, ase master, gm tech
15905188

My 2000 1500 silverado keeps overheating..water pump..gaskets

Customer Question

my 2000 1500 silverado keeps overheating after replacing water pump, thermostat,and fan clutch.
I've olso replaced Engine gaskets. It only overheats when the truck is on netrual or at a stop, once I get going the tempeture goes back to normal.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

what engine do you have?did it get hot before you done the work?tell me all you can

thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes! it overheated before I did any work to it. Know It starts to overheat only when I come to a complete stop. At this point the engine is runing and the a/c is on, but does not cool enough. Thermostat, waterpump,fanclutch,and headset replaced.

ok

be sure the radiator cap is good...but the radiator may be clocgged up,sometimes flushing it will do the trick,but you may need a new one

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Engine - Running Hot And/Or Loss of Coolant

Bulletin No.: 00-06-02-001

File In Section: 06 Engine/Propulsion System

Date: January, 2000

Subject:
Engine Running Hot, Overheating and/or Loss of Coolant (Polish Radiator Filler Neck and Replace Radiator Cap)

Models:
1999-2000 Passenger Cars and Trucks with Composite Radiator End Tank

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

^Engine running hot

^Engine overheating, and/or

^Loss of coolant/low coolant message

Cause

The radiator filler neck may have an imperfection in the sealing surface.

Correction

Important: DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIATOR.

Using a piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper backed with a flat piece of wood, polish the filler neck sealing surface using a circular motion.

Replace the radiator pressure cap with a cap of the same part number as shown in the GM Service Parts Catalog.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Labor Operation Description Time J3020 Cap, Radiator Filler - Replace0.2 hr
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I forgot to mention I got the radiator cleaned also and cheked in case it was pluged,but everything was OK.

ok

i will opt out..mabe another one of the guys has an idea

thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

my 2000 1500 silverado keeps overheating after replacing, thermostat,and fan clutch,and cleaned out radiator.
I've olso replaced Engine gaskets.Truck only overheats when the truck is on netrual or at a stop, once I get going the tempeture goes back down. Other mechanics say the water pump is good because it's not leaking and there's a flow in the water resevore. Radiator cap is new. One more thing when the truck is overheating the airconditioner stops blowing cool air. This is going on when the tempeture on the truck is rising or starting to overheat.

Before there was any work done to it at all and the truck over heated it lost the water thru the water resevore tank or hose.

Expert:  lazydog76 replied 7 years ago.

hi,

1. did you preform the work on the heads?
  2. what replacement gaskets did you use?
  3. how high is the temp getting?
  4. is it pushing coolant out?
  5. was the radiator flushed or was it cleaned by a radiator shop?