Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I just put my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer into park, but the dash

I just put my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer into park, but the dash indicates it is in reverse. The shifter is now stuck and I can't start the car either (probably because the computer thinks it's in reverse.) When i turn the key and get out of the car I can move it as if it were out of gear. However I still can't start it or move the shifter. Please help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

This means your transmission range switch needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is this a mechanical part, and how accessible is it?

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

It is easy to get to, its right on the side of the transmission, here are instructions to replace. You should be able to do it without the special tool, just line it up as shown. Thanks

Removal Procedure

1. Apply the parking brake.
  2. Shift the transmission into neutral.
  3. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  4. Remove the nut securing the transmission control lever to the manual shaft.
  5. Remove the transmission control lever from the manual shaft.
  6. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the switch.
  7. Remove the bolts securing the park/neutral position switch to the transmission.
  8. Remove the park/neutral position switch from the manual shaft. If the park/neutral position switch did not slide off the manual shaft, file the outer edge of the manual shaft in order to remove any burrs.

Installation Procedure

• Install the switch to the transmission manual shaft by aligning the switch hub flats with the manual shaft flats.
  • Slide the switch onto the transmission manual shaft until the switch mounting bracket contacts the mounting bosses on the transmission. Important: If a new switch is being installed, the switch will come with a positive assurance bracket. The positive assurance bracket aligns the new switch in it proper position for installation and the use of neutral position adjustment tool will not be necessary.
  • Install the switch to the transmission with two bolts finger tight.

1. Position the tool J 41364-A onto the park/neutral position switch. Ensure that the two slots on the switch where the manual shaft is inserted are lined up with the lower two tabs on the tool. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
    2. Rotate the tool until the upper locator pin on the tool is lined up with the slot on the top of the switch.
      • Tighten the bolts securing the switch to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
    1. Remove the J 41364-A from the switch. If installing a new switch, remove the positive assurance bracket at this time.
    2. Connect the electrical connectors to the switch
    1. Install the transmission control lever to the manual shaft with the nut.
      • Tighten the control lever nut to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
    1. Lower the vehicle.
    2. Check the switch for proper operation. The engine must start in the P (Park) or N (Neutral) positions only. If proper operation of the switch can not be obtained, replace the switch.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok thanks,

I will try this.

I am unable to shift into neutral though as it says to in step 2.

Will this be a problem?

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

In the event that service is required, a park lock solenoid manual release lever is located on the top right side of the floor shift assembly, under the shift lever trim boot. To operate the manual release lever, block the wheels and apply the parking brake. Lift the shift lever boot to expose the release lever. Push the release lever towards the front of the vehicle and move the shift lever to the neutral position.