cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech
1511099

corvette: power driver seat and power telescopic steering

Customer Question

Have a corvette c5 2001. power driver seat and power telescopic steering are not working. Have code scm b0856. checked fuse and it was ok but replaced with known good. only up button on seat does not work all the rest do
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.

this might help it is the flow chart print the chart they seam to only work for a while then the link fails

B0856
Notes

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The telescoping steering column actuator and seat adjuster motors are equipped with position sensors. The position sensors are supplied with a common 5 volt reference circuit and low reference circuit from the memory seat module. The memory seat module receives a signal voltage from each position sensor whenever a memory seat module output function is active.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The memory seat module detects a switch signal active or a memory function request.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• The memory seat module detects the position sensor 5 volt reference circuit under 4.0 volts or over 5.2 volts .
  • The condition must be present for 2 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• A history DTC is stored in the memory seat module.
  • Memory seat module DTCs can only be set as history codes even if the malfunction is current.
  • Memory functions will be disabled as long as the fault is current.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC
Memory seat module DTCs may be cleared only by using a scan tool or the IPC clearing DTCs feature.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• Monitor the position sensor reference parameter in the SCM data list, if the fault is current disconnecting position sensor connectors or the in line connector to the steering column may help to determine where the fault is occurring.
  • If the fault is not current and all the adjuster motors operate through the full range of adjustment the problem may be intermittent. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Diagram.

TEST DESCRIPTION

Steps 1-8

The number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the diagnostic table.

1. This step determines if the fault is in the position sensor 5 volt reference circuit.

Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
please ask all questions so i can help as much as possible
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this response was readily available online. what would have been nic e was a diagram of the wireing layout orexplanation of plug seperation as seat is fully back and very difficult to remove making diagnostics close to impossible.
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
let me see what i can get for the wiring for you is there anything else i can retreive for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would love to know how the plg seperates as it has very little leaway and what I have found in forumsis that cleaningconnections will resolve the issue but sinceI am unable toget it intoa position for seperating am unablke toproceed on cleaning connections.
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
i will look for those plugs
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was billed for this and nopne of the answers were accepted which ios why I never hit accepted. I wish my refund of 9.00
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
you never asked for more help or info i never got paid for the service because you didnt hit accept so i cant help i would sugest going to the main page and find the customer service link and ask for the refund us tech dont have any thing to do with it i gave you as much info as you asked for