GM Master Tech 01
GM Master Tech 01, GM Master Technician
Experience:  GM certified master technician 10 years experience
11330529

How do I remove an ignition switch on a 2000 cadilac escal

Customer Question

How do I remove an ignition switch on a 2000 cadilac escalade
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

this may help

thanks

Ignition Lock Cylinder - Revised Replacement Procedure

File In Section: 02 - Steering

Bulletin No.: 02-02-35-001

Date: January, 2002

SERVICE MANUAL UPDATE

Subject:
Revised Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

Models:
1998-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, S/T, M/L and G Model Vehicles
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
2002 Cadillac Escalade
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being issued to revise the Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement procedure in the Steering Wheel and Column - Standard or Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt sub-sections of the Service Manual. Please replace the current information in the Service Manual with the following information.

The following information has been updated within SI2000. If you are using a paper version of this Service Manual, please make a reference to this bulletin on the affected page.

The above mentioned Service Manuals omitted information regarding performing the Passlock Relearn or Autolearn procedure after an ignition lock cylinder has been replaced. If you have replaced the ignition lock cylinder, refer to the following procedures:

For 1998-2000 model year vehicles, refer to Passlock Reprogramming in the Theft Deterrent subsection.

For 2001-2002 model year vehicles, refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in the Theft Deterrent subsection.

DISCLAIMER

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
  2. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position. Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  4. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Air Bags and Seat Belts.
  5. Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle.

1. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position.
  2. Using an awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole (1).
  3. Push down and hold the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin.
  4. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.
  5. Remove the ignition lock cylinder by pulling the ignition lock cylinder away from the steering column (2).

Installation Procedure

1. Install the ignition lock cylinder into the steering column (2) using the following procedure:
1.1.Align the positioning locking tab slot on the lock module assembly to the positioning tab on the ignition lock cylinder.
1.2.Push the lock cylinder in until the locking tab locks in the lock module assembly.
  1. Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle.
  2. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SM System in Air Bags and Seat Belts.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable. Perform the Idle Learn Procedure for 4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines only. Refer to PCM Idle Learn Procedure in Powertrain Management. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Engine Control Module\Service and Repair Perform the PASS LOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn procedure.
Steering Column
Tilt Wheel/Column Components
icon_note_blank.gif Notes
Steering Column
Tilt Wheel/Column Components
icon_note_blank.gif Notes
Column Shift

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What you told me how to do is just the lock and key assembly I need to change out the ignition switch

the ignition switch is part of the ignition lock on this model..it is around the ignition key cylinder

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alrite I replaced the switch but I should go back to my original question I should have asked you. All of the accesories that normaly come on when the ignition switch is in the aux position do not work in eather the aux or on position. ie whipers, radio, and windows. I origionaly thought it was the switch so I changed that I have checked both fuse boxes and found no burnt fuses can you help

i'm lost here,i will opt ourt and let one of our other guys help you

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your time I appreciate it
Expert:  GM Master Tech 01 replied 5 years ago.

]This should answer your question

Ignition Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Restraint Systems.
  2. Remove the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement- On Vehicle.See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair\Steering Column Service On Vehicle\Tilt Lever Replacement
  3. Remove the trim covers from the column. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement- On Vehicle.See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair\Steering Column Service On Vehicle\Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement
  4. Disconnect the steering column electrical connectors.
  5. Remove the wire harness assembly (1) from the wire harness strap (2).
  6. Remove and dispose of the smaller wire harness straps.

1. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly out of the bulkhead connector (1).

1. Remove the key alarm connector (1) from the lock module assembly (2).
8.1.Rotate the key alarm connector (1) 90 degrees.
8.2.Pull the key alarm connector (1) out of the lock module assembly (2).

1. Remove the 2 tapping screws (2) from the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1).
  2. Remove the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1) from the lock module assembly.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1) onto the lock module assembly. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Screw the 2 tapping screws (2) into the ignition and key alarm switch assembly (1).
    • Tighten the 2 tapping screws to 1.5 Nm (13 inch lbs.) .

1. Install the key alarm connector (1) into the lock module assembly (2).
3.1.Push the key alarm connector (1) into the lock module assembly (2).
3.2.Rotate the key alarm connector (1) 90 degrees so that the key alarm connector (1) locks into place.

1. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly into the bulkhead connector (1).
  2. Connect the steering column electrical connectors.

1. Attach new wire harness straps to the wire harness assembly (1).
  2. Attach the wire harness assembly (1) to the wire harness strap (2).
  3. Install the trim covers to the column. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement On VehicleSee: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair\Steering Column Service On Vehicle\Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement
  4. Install the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement- On Vehicle.See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair\Steering Column Service On Vehicle\Tilt Lever Replacement
  5. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in Restraint Systems.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already replaced the ignition switch that did not solve the problem
The electical part of the switch? The black box under the lock cylinder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the electronic part of the switch that is the conclusion that I came up with and it didn't fix it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Did you install the switch in the right possition?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the switch can only install in the rite position there is no adjustment on this model and the problem started before i removed the old switch
Yes thier is an adjustment if the gear in the top of the switch is off it will not work propperly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem started before I changed the switch and in the on position everything else works fine
Need a list of inoperative items