Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

chevy: 283 with a casting # 3896944

I have a chevy 283 with a casting #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand directly across from the casing # XXXXX XXXXX K87 trying to find out what this came out of
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

The block casting number you have indicates that yours is a 1967 model year, 195 hp, 2 bolt main, 283 engine.   Yhis engine was used in many Chevrolet models that year, and was replaced by the 307 in the 1968 model year.
   The K87 indicates it was cast on November 8, 1967
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there anyway to find out what it came out of. I took it out of a 1956 Willy's Jeep.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
All the casting number tells you in this instance is that it was a 1967 model; the casting number does not identify what specific model it ended up being installed in on the assembly line eventually.   it only tells you what the engine is.    There really is no way to know what exact model it came out of, but the engine would be the same no matter what it was bolted into...