Butch
Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses
9803052

2001 Tahoe: the relay and all fuses related to the headlights they

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Tahoe with a headlight problem. The lowbeam lights do not work, but the highbeams do. I have checked the relay and all fuses related to the headlights they prove to be fine. There is not any power getting to the fuse for the headlamps. I also pulled the multifunciton switch (HEADLIGHT SWITCH) from the dash and then reinserted; my lowbeams worked for a day or so when I reinserted the multifunction switch, but now they have stopped working again. Could it be the multifunction switch?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Butch replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

I will give you the schematic and diagnosis for this problem, but I believe that you will find that it is the multifunction switch. If you look at the diagnosis, there is not much else that causes this except the switch or bad wiring. If you need more info, just ask.

Headlamps Inoperative - Low Beams

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Headlights Schematics

1

Did you perform the Lighting Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Lighting Systems

2

Turn ON the headlamp switch.

Do the headlamps operate normally?

Go to Testing for Electrical Intermittents in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

3

1. Disconnect the headlamp dimmer switch connector C201C.
  2. Turn ON the headlamp switch.
  3. Connect a fused jumper wire between the headlamp dimmer switch low beam signal circuit of connector C201C to a good ground.

Do the low beams illuminate?

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 6

4

Connect a test lamp between the ground circuit of the dimmer switch and battery positive voltage.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 7

5

Inspect for poor connections at the engine wiring harness junction block and the dimmer switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 8

6

Repair the open in the headlamp dimmer switch low beam signal circuit between the engine wiring harness junction block and the dimmer switch. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 9

--

7

Repair the open in the headlamp dimmer switch ground circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 9

--

8

Replace the headlamp dimmer switch. Refer to Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt or Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column - Standard.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 9

--

9

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 3

Object Number: 703796  Size: FS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Butch, for some reason when I turn on the light circuit I can hear the relay clicking, does this mean that the light circuit is actually functioning. One

caveat; have interchanged relays so the same clicking noise happens, but the same result. Are all factors still pointing to the multi-switch?

Thanks

KB

Expert:  Butch replied 7 years ago.
The relay that you are hearing is the headlamp relay. It sends +12v to the hi and low beam lamps, BUT, the multi-function switch is what grounds either the high or low beams to turn them on. I still think its the switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Butch for the response, I just want to confirm which switch it is that needs to be replaced. Is it the headlamp/dimmer switch or the turn signal multi-function switch?

Thanks

KB

Expert:  Butch replied 7 years ago.

Its the multi-function switch. They call the switch that turns your headlamps on, a panel dimmer switch. They call the multi-function switch, a headlamp dimmer switch. Kind of confusing but thats GM for ya. Good luck.