Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevy Trailblazer will not start.

My 2002 Chevy Trailblazer will not start. I have replaced the starter and still won’t start. There isn’t even a click from the starter or a crank when the key is turned. Could this be the ignition switch?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

First you would want to verify the security light is not flashing. If it is you have a security issue and you could try to use another key. Otherwise make sure 10 Amp IGN E fuse in location 22 is good, check the 40 Amp IGN A fuse in location 34, check 10 Amp Crank fuse location 17. If fuses look good problem could be ignition switch, neutral safety switch, relay, or wiring. You can also pull out the wire harness on the neutral safety switch and jump terminals together, if it starts this is the problem. Here is a wire diagram, let me know if you have questions. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The fuses were checked and they all were good. The battery was also dead in the vehicle but I charged it; but then it lost charge.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Unless your security light is flashing problem is most likely ignition switch or neutral safety switch. You can use a voltmeter to check voltage on yellow wire with key on and vehicle in park. If there is no voltage, you will need to replace the neutral safety switch. If the switch is good, you can check the yellow wire coming out of ignition switch for voltage when the key is in the start position. If there is no voltage, you will need to replace the switch. Please let me know if you have any more questions. You could also try disconnecting the battery and connect the cables together for 30 minutes. Then reconnect and try to avoid any battery connection chatter. Thanks

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

You can also try the security system. You may need to re-learn the procedure in case this is the problem. Below is how to do this.

Turn the ignition switch momentarily from the OFF position to the "CRANK" position.

Release the key, leave the ignition in the "ON" position for a minimum of 10 minutes. Do not continue until at least 10 minutes has passed, or the relearn will abort. Going over 10 minutes is fine.

After the 10 minute cycle, turn the key off for 15 seconds.

Repeat steps 3-5 two more times (3 times total).

After the 3rd cycle, the theft system should synchronize. It should start and run normally.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If the security light is flashing, then what should I do?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
If security light is flashing perform security relearn procedure and this should help. If not you could try it again with a new key. If light is still flashing you would want to bring vehicle to dealership so they can monitor where problem is in system. Thanks again.