Travis
Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.
14792462

How to get the rear cargo door panel off on a Chevy Express

How to get the rear cargo door panel off on a Chevy Express 1500 van?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

What year is the Van?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2000
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
For the LEFT rear door...

graphic
  1. Gently pull out the trim panel at the top of the window opening. Using a long flat-bladed suitable tool, pry the retaining clips apart in order to disengage the clips.
  2. Lift the left side rear door trim panel up in order to release the tabs on the left side rear door trim panel.
  3. Remove the left side rear door trim panel from the door.
For the RIGHT rear door....

graphic
  1. Remove the inside door handle bezel.
  2. Remove the screws that retain the right side rear door trim plates to the right side rear door.
  3. Remove the right side rear door trim plate from the right side rear door.
  4. Gently pull out the trim panel at the top of the window opening. Using a suitable and long flat-bladed tool, pry the retaining clips apart in order to disengage the clips.
  5. Lift the right side rear door trim panel up in order to release the tabs on the right side rear door trim panel.
  6. Remove the right side rear door trim panel from the door.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Travis Thanks!

I am asking this because the driver side rear cargo door won't open. The latch that you normall pull is loose, like it broke off or is not enaged. How can I get the door open once I remove the panel to look at the lock mechanism?

Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome.
Once you get the panel off, there will be a plastic sheet over the door as well, take that off.

Then, near the latch, there should be some rods that connect from the handles to the latch. Operate the handles and watch the rods, make sure they are all attached and not binding.

As well, you should be able to pull on one of the rods that comes from the handle and it should allow the door to open.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Travis,

Since the handle is loose, I thinking that is is broke off the rods. Can I get a part from Chevy to repair it?

Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is the most common problem with those doors.
Chevy will have a new part, also you can check local part stores as the part may cost less.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Travis,

How do I remove the handle if I have too? Again this is the drivers side so the handle is on the side of the door, so you open the passenger (right)side first and this door.

Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
The handle should be held in with the 4 10mm nuts in side the door, then the handle will come right out.

graphic
Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience: 7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Travis,

This was a good experience!!

I definitely use it again,

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
No problem, I am glad I could help.

Thanks again,
Travis