John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

ok, so i have a failing mode door acuator for the 2002 trailblazer

ok, so i have a failing mode door acuator for the 2002 trailblazer ltz. i thought that there was a service bullitin covering this. and there was a special tool to make it easier to replace the part. how much should this repair cost me at the dealer and how much time is alloted for this and how much is the part??? I really do not trust the dealers service reps. thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

This should help you.

SERVICE MANAGEMENT APPROVALS AND AUTHORIZATIONS

Service management approval in the form of a signature, date and explanation, is the method of documenting the involvement and consent of dealership service management prior to the work being performed.

Each Dealer must designate one person for each technician's shift within service management who is responsible and held accountable for all approvals and claim authorizations. Typically, this would be the service manager or director. Service technicians, claims administrators, other support or hourly personnel are not to be empowered for these types of management approvals.

The following conditions require service management approval before work is performed on the vehicle:

Claims that include adjustments outside of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty must be noted and approved by Service Management on the repair order.
All Goodwill decisions outside the terms of the warranty period
All Goodwill decisions made within the warranty period made for customer satisfaction reasons
All claim type "B" repairs
All warranty repairs to new and used vehicles in dealer's inventory
Claim authorizations for any other labor hours
Customer conditions not duplicated labor operation numbers
Customer reimbursements
Customer signature not available
Replacements of any components in pairs
Wheel alignment , balance, tire/wheel replacement operations greater than 7500 miles
Windshield replacements
Work added onto the repair order after initial write-up

Your dealership's approval / authorization profile may vary dependent upon the level of empowerment provided. Questions regarding empowerment level should be direct to your Area Service Manager.

Reference: GM Policies & Procedures Article 1.6.2.o, WINS Claims Processing Manual Section II.C.2.F & G , IV.C.2.O & P, and Section V.

PIT4427: Repeat HVAC Actuator Replacements - keywords door cool heat mode temperature - (Jun 15, 2007)

Subject:Repeat HVAC Actuator Replacements

Models:2003-2007 HUMMER H2, SUT
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
1999 -2007 GMC Serria Classic
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT
2000-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer Models
2002-2007 GMC Envoy Models
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X
1998-2004 Chevrolet S/T Classic Blazer and S10 Pickup
1998-2004 GMC S/T Classic Jimmy and Sonoma
1998-2007 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR

This PI Being Updated To Add Additional Model Years. Please Discard PI02080.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

A replacement HVAC actuators is inoperative or that has worked one time and quit. The HVAC control head learns the stopping points based on how far the HVAC DOOR travels. If the actuator reachs the mechanical stops on the back of the actuator it will be outside of the range that the HVAC control head can learn. If the actuator was not mounted to the HVAC case prior to plugging in its connector, the actuator will go out of range and be inoperative.

Always attach the HVAC actuator to the case before installing the electrical connector.

If an actuator is out of range it may be possible to bring it back into range by following the procedure below:

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Connect a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the actuator control circuit and the 5 volt reference circuit of the actuator connector.
  3. Remove the jumper wire and actuator connector when the actuator is at the center position.
  4. If the actuator doesn't move in step 2. Try installing the jumper wire from control circuit and the ground circuit of the actuator.
  5. With the actuator in the center position, install the actuator to the hvac case and secure the mounting screws and then connect the actuator connector.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

05-01-38-001A: Info - Essential Tool for HVAC Mode Door Actuator Replacement - (Apr 8, 2005)

Subject:New Essential Tool For HVAC Mode Door Actuator Replacement

Models:2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
2002 GMC Envoy Models
2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being revised to update the references to the service procedures in SI and add warranty and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-01-38-001 (Section 01 -- HVAC).

The purpose of this service bulletin is to announce the release of a new essential tool to service the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Mode Door Actuator. The new tool is an HVAC Puller, special tool number GE-47676, which was shipped in the Fall of 2004 to all Chevrolet and GMC dealers. It will no longer be necessary to replace the entire Mode Door Cam Assembly when only the Mode Door Actuator requires replacement. Previous to the release of this tool, it was necessary to remove the entire Instrument Panel Carrier to replace the Mode Door Cam Assembly. Now the Mode Door Actuator can be serviced from underneath the left side of the Instrument Panel Carrier using this new special tool.

The service procedures in SI have been updated to include the use of this new special tool. To replace the entire Mode Door Cam Assembly refer to the Mode Cam Replacement procedure in SI for more information (Document ID #1618104). To replace just the Mode Door Actuator, refer to the Mode Actuator Replacement procedure in SI for more information (Document ID #1609154). The labor time associated with labor operation D1808 has been changed to reflect the time savings when this new special tool is used. Labor operation D1829 has been added to the labor time guide to be used if the entire Mode Door Cam Assembly is replaced.

Use This Part Number

Do Not Use This Part Number

89018539

Actuator ASM, Mode Valve

89018525

Cam ASM, Mode Valve

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician