Butch
Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses

2008 impala: replace my front seat belts..unlock..module

Customer Question

I need to replace my front seat belts on my 2008 impala. Is there a way i can unlock them until i get my replacement belts and module. So i am legal to frive with seat belts on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer what is wrong with the belts right now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you familiar with the pyrotech belts. If the air bag goes off it locks the seatbelts. The drivers airbag wentoff and has the seat belts locked up. And I was wondering if anyone knew if they can be unlocked to use like regular seat belts without the pyrotech lock until I get new ones that heve the pyrtoch lock, I would not replace them But if i don't i will get the air bag code and the light will stay on.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Once the belts become locked in this system they must be replaced. They are desined to be replaced and not unlocked. Unfortunately there is no way around this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the service manager at the GM dealer told me they can be unlocked, but he could not tell me how to do it, He also said t will leave a fault code, until they are replaced but he knows people who have unlocked them and left the light on. All i wqnt is to unlock tomake the car functional until my new ones come in. It is like 80.00 for no seat belt   / person so if we both get it that is 160
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
This is something that should not be done. I will reopen this question to other experts that may be able to help you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you And why should it not be done. The system is the same as Pre 2006 cars, and some cars still do not use pyrotech seat blets in the front. But thank you for your time
Expert:  Butch replied 4 years ago.

What Bobbyss is saying, is that it is not safe to do this. If nothing else, we have a moral obligation to not tell you how to due something that could cause you harm. If you unlock it and have an accident, and the seatbelt does not work, then what? Your life is worth more than the little bit of money we would earn by telling you how to do this.

Butch

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just called someone I know in the body repair business. He tld me how to do it. I have them both unlocked and working like new Only difference is they do not lock when airbags go off, I guess that is my personal choice, I have driven 36 years without pyrotech belts and the odds of just the locking up 1 1/1000 of a second faster is not inmaterial to me for a week. I want a vehicle that I xan drive with seat belts, Not drive without, Had you read my original question I stated this was temporary. I find it very frustrating for some people to feel they have the right to make the cal for others, we all are entitled to our opinion, And also there is no law anywhere stating you must replace these seat belts with pyrotech. Matter of fact there is no law stating you have to replace your airbags