bphooyman
bphooyman, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified with 12 years automotive experience
10566286

Have a 2005 Suburban and the rear hatch and window will not

Have a 2005 Suburban and the rear hatch and window will not unlock or open. All electric locks and the fuses appear to be in working order. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  bphooyman replied 5 years ago.
Customer
commonly, this is caused by a failed electrical actuator in the rear 2X or 3X door. to get access to this you will have to climb into the back of the truck and remove the paneling inside the truck (please be careful to not crack the plastic panels so that you won't have to replace/repair these too). once you have access inside the rear doors, you can then trip the latch open so you can more easily access all the internals of the door. the actuator in this case will be part of the latch assembly (you should find this on the left side door - this is the component that actually latches onto the door striker). once you replace the latch/actuator assembly, and make the electrical connections again, the door should be fully operational again. please let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this apply to the rear hatch and window on the 05 suburban? I hear a slight hum noise briefly when I try to use the remote to unlock it. I assume the panel on the rear hatch can be removed without the hatch open?!
Expert:  bphooyman replied 5 years ago.
the hum noise is typical for a failing actuator/latch assembly. the panel can be removed (partially) without opening the rear hatch, but it will be difficult. you will not be able to access the screws to remove the latch assembly though until the door is opened. as best you can, try to grab the bottom of the panel & pull firmly, but gently. it will unsnap from the steel frame of the door. if that does not work for you, you may want to try to pry it open using a flat head screwdriver placed in between the paneling and the door's steel frame. be sure to use a cloth over the head of the screwdriver so as not to scratch the paint.
bphooyman, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified with 12 years automotive experience