akcarguy, Chevy Technician
Experience:  schooled, trained,love the wierd stuff

How do I set the timing for a 95 GMC 5.7 liter 350 Do I need

How do I set the timing for a 95 GMC 5.7 liter 350? Do I need to unplug the electronic spark control wire? If so where is it located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  akcarguy replied 7 years ago.

have you unplugged it yet? the spark control module...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not yet, it runs at a idle but its a little hard starting and when you step on the gas is hesitates.
Expert:  akcarguy replied 7 years ago.

have you changed the pcv valve? have you changed you fuel filter? or checked for fuel pressure with a gauge... the pump could be getting weak.. just thoughts, as for the info you requested.... yes unplug the wire.

there is a wire behind the plastic shroud on the passenger side of the firewall. THE WIRE MUST BE DISCONNECTED BEFORE ANY ADJUSTMENT CAN BE MADE. if you fail to do this step, the adjustment WILL be wrong. the wire is tan with a black stripe. it has to be disconnected before you start the engine. the spec is 0 degrees. again if you fail to do this step it WILL be wrong. then the clamp goes on the front spark plug wire on the drivers side and the battery clamps on the light go black to neative and red to positive. then line up the marks

the clamp goes on number one cylinder and while it's running, turn the distributor until the XXXXX XXXXXnes up on the damper......if ya don't follow this very well.....get help. or you'll end up paying for it later

Actually on a 1995 the wire should be under the dash on the passenger side of the truck