Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.
4232346

2001 chevy suburban: I changed out the fuel pump...hard time starting

I Have a 2001 chevy suburban. I changed out the fuel pump. I had a hard time starting it. I would have to turn to accessory for a few seconds and then it would start. I changed out the pressure regulator and did not really make it better. So It started to idle rough like it was not getting enough fuel so i assumed it was the fuel pump. I can not go over twenty miles an hour without it choking out and you push on the gas a few times and it cuts out, it does not shut off but runs rough and then it will eventually smooth out but does it again. I also changed out the fuel filter first before the pressure regulator.

Thanks Dan
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 7 years ago.
You may not have a fuel issue, If you have a fuel gauge you can checck for pressure. Should be arounf 50psi. It sounds like maybe you have clogged catalytic converter. You can test this by removing the oxygen sensors(O2 sensors) before the catalytic converters and then test drive. If the engine has more power and can go over 20mph, then the cats are clogged.

Let me know if you need more info.

Object Number: 715477  Size: SH
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mr Mike, I went and bought at fuel pressure gauge and tested the pressure and it was 8lbs. not 50 lbs so i dropped the fuel tank completely and checked pressure and the flow was minimal. conclusion i had a bad new fuel pump. It was only a twelve hour day but it was successful thanks for the input