Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

pcm,icm,coil,crank sensor etc., I still get the van stalling

Customer Question

can I get a full electrical diagram for a 2000 chev 1500 express 5.7 engine. I need the diagrams for the ingition system as they are not in the repair manuals I have purchased. Please help I am having a terrible time with a P1351 code and trying to figure out why after replacing the pcm,icm,coil,crank sensor etc., I still get the van stalling and dieing and having to sit over night in order to start.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

this may help...

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Your Vehicle: 2000 Chevy Truck K 1500 Suburban 4WD V8-5.3L VIN T
System Diagram
Engine
icon_note_blank.gif Notes

P1351

Schematic

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The enhanced ignition system uses the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor in order to provide a timing input to the control module. Ignition Control (IC) spark timing for each cylinder is based on this input. The control module provides the ignition timing signal to the Ignition Control Module (ICM) to control the ignition coil. Each timing pulse detected by the ICM allows it to energize the ignition coil. A large secondary ignition voltage is induced in the secondary coil by the primary coil. This high voltage is switched to the correct spark plug by the distributor.

This DTC will set if the VCM detects an unusually high voltage on the ignition timing signal circuit.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• The ignition control is enabled.
  • The engine speed is less than 250 RPM .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The ignition control voltage is more than 4.9 volts .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The control module illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) if a failure is detected during 2 consecutive key cycles.
  • The control module sets the DTC and records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic failed. The failure information is stored in the scan tool Freeze Frame and Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL OR DTC

• The control module turns OFF the MIL afterXXXXXtrips when the test has run and passed.
  • A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles. A warm-up cycle occurs when the coolant temperature has risen 22°C (40°F) from the startup coolant temperature and the engine coolant reaches a temperature that is more than 70°C (158°F) during the same ignition cycle.
  • Use a scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Intermittent test - If the connections and the harness check OK, monitor a DMM connected between VCM terminal C3 pin 9 and C4 pin 18 while moving related connectors and wiring harness. If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change. This may help to isolate the location of the malfunction.

An intermittent may be caused by any of the following conditions:

• A poor connection
  • Rubbed through wire insulation
  • A broken wire inside the insulation

Thoroughly inspect any circuitry that is suspected of causing the intermittent complaint. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Diagrams.

If a repair is necessary, refer to Wiring Repairs or Connector Repairs in Diagrams.

Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 2)
Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 2)

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.