Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

Chevy: The door hinge pins on my drivers side door..extended cab

I have an 05 Chevy 2500 HD. The door hinge pins on my drivers side door appear to have failed as the door is sagging and has rubbed some of the paint off the extended cab door. I have bought replacement pins from NAPA. Everything I have read online says that you simply drive out the old pins, and drive in the new ones, but it doesn't appear to fit together this way on my truck. Can you give me some advice on what to do?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer,

This is what GM says on your Hinge pins and bushings,

• Disconnect the door wire harness.

• Object Number: 348485  Size: SH

• Remove the door check link bolt from the pillar side.
  • Remove the bolts from the upper door hinge and the lower door hinge.
  • With an assistant, lift the door up from the hinge pins, and remove the door from the vehicle.
  • Remove the hinge pins from the hinge by grinding the bottom end of the pin off and driving out the remainder of the pin using a hammer and punch.
  • Remove the old bushings from the hinges.
  •  

Install procedure
      Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the hinge pin bushings (1) into the hinges.
    2. Install the shorter hinge pin (3) into the bottom hole in the hinge.
    3. Install the washer supplied in the kit and a standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut onto the replacement hinge pin.
    4. Tap the shorter hinge pin (3) into the hinge as far as it will go.
    5. Tighten the 5/16 inch x 18 nut with a hand wrench, drawing the hinge pin into the hinge until the pin is fully seated.
    6. Replace the standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut with the lock nut supplied in the kit and finger tighten.
    7.  

Tighten the lock nuts.

Tighten
      Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

8. Install the longer hinge pin (2) into the top hole in the hinge.
    9. Install the washer supplied in the kit and a standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut onto the replacement hinge pin.
    10. Tap the longer hinge pin (2) into the hinge as far as it will go.
    11. Tighten the 5/16 inch x 18 nut with a hand wrench, drawing the hinge pin into the hinge until the pin is fully seated.
    12. Replace the standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut with the lock nut supplied in the kit and finger tighten.
    13. Tighten the lock nuts.
    14. Tighten
      Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

15. Install the door.
    16. Lubricate the hinge pins with Goodwrench® Super Lube or equivalent.
    Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
    Experience: 20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics