Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

How do you replace the brake light switch on a 2002 chevy silverado

How do you replace the brake light switch on a 2002 chevy silverado pick up truck
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer,

Below are the instructions for replacing the stop lamp switch, the hardest part of this job is removing the clip, sometimes it can be a bear getting it off, a couple of small screwdrivers help.

Let me know if you have more Questions

Scott K

Stop Lamp Switch Replacement

Object Number: 344194  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the stop lamp switch (2).
  2. Remove the pushrod retaining clip (4).
  3. Remove the stop lamp switch (2).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have to remove the dashboard
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

No, you do not have to remove the dash this is all done with the seat slid all the way back and then laying on your back on the floorboard, make sure you have a light so you can see what you are doing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just to make sure it is the stop light switch, I do have a brake light on the top of the cab just no brake light on the tailend. The bulbs are okay and I have checked everywhere I can think to check so I figure it is the switch. Is there anyway to determine? Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Nope not the switch,

let me dig into some schematics and come up with a few things for you to check.

Do you have a test light or voltmeter if we need it?

Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Have you checked the Veh Stop fuse 10A in the under hood fuse block?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes , I believe I have a test light. I did smell something like a short coming from the brake pedal area. I have checked the stop LP 25amp but I don't see anything else that says Veh Stop 10A. I checked the fuse box inside and under the hood.
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.
VEH STOP is fuse number #17 in the underhood fuse block, I believe it is near the back corner closest to the engine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it checks ok. I have checked all the fuses.
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

I want to find out if it has power with the brakes depressed,

use your test light and connect the clip to the battery negative, place the "ice pic" end on the + battery post to test your test light, if it is working probe the hole in the top of the fuse and have someone press the brake pedal, check both holes in the fuse, both should light, let me know the results

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No , no lights.
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.
do the turn signals work in the rear?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I have all lights working except the brake lights on the tailend.
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Can you test the CHMSL fuse in the same manner as the VEH STOP fuse and let me know what you get, make sure the brakes are applied while checking.

The CHMSL fuse is located in the underhood fuse block it is right next to the VEH STOP fuse it is #16

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, no light
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Just to clarify,

You have verified that the test light is working?

You were depressing the brake pedal while checking?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the test light is working and it does not light up when the brake pedal is depressed. Sorry I forgot that part.
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

The problem is that the chmsl fuse is the protection for the Center High Mount Stop Lamp, power comes through the brake lamp switch on the pedal up to the 2 fuses (chmsl+Veh stop) then the chmsl circuit goes to the cab lamp and the veh stop fuse leads to the rear lamps.

I just don't see how from the results of our tests how the center cab lamp is still working because of no light at the chmsl fuse. no light at either fuse leads to a faulty stop lamp switch on the brake pedal.

One more test check the STOP LPS fuse in the under hood fuse block you don't need to press the brakes on this one.

I am including the schematic that I am looking at so you can see if it helps.

Object Number: 773753  Size: FS

Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience: 20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have to take a break. Can I check this out then get back to you?