Chris
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM certified Technician

How do I replace exterior door latches on a 99 Chevy Tahoe

How do I replace exterior door latches on a 99 Chevy Tahoe? I have to replace all three ( driver, passenger and rear lift gate).

Regards, Charles
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello Let me get the repair procedure for you just one moment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. My manual shows pictures of a 2000 which is completely different.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

First you will have to remove the door panel, which can be removed using flat bladed tool to disengage retainers behind panel by inserting and gently prying outward.

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Remove the door handle bezel. Refer to Door Handle Bezel Replacement .
  • Remove the window regulator handle, as necessary. Refer to Door Window Regulator Handle Replacement .
  • Disconnect the power accessory switch mounting panel wiring connector, as necessary. Refer to Power Accessory Switch Panel Replacement .
  • Remove the trim panel upper extension. Refer to Upper Extension Trim Panel Replacement .
    Object Number: 277749  Size: SH

• Using a flat blade tool, carefully pry off the trim panel armrest screw cover in order to access the screw.
  • Remove the trim panel armrest screw.
  • Using the J 38778 , carefully pry the retainer from the retainer seats.
  • Disconnect the courtesy light connector, if necessary.
  • Remove the trim panel from the door.
  • Remove the courtesy lamp lens or the reflector.
    Object Number: 277750  Size: SH

• Pull the retainers from the slot in the trim panel.
  • Remove the retainers.
  •  

• Remove the trim panel. Refer to Upper Extension Trim Panel Replacement .
  • Remove the water deflector. Refer to Rear Side Door Water Deflector Replacement .
  • Remove the inner mounting panel assembly. Refer to Front Door Module Replacement .
    Object Number: 277774  Size: SH
    Remove the outside handle rod from the rod clip.
    Object Number: 277776  Size: SH
  • Remove the lock cylinder rod from the rod clip.
  • Remove the outside handle mounting screws.
  • Remove the door lock cylinder from the outside handle housing.
  •  

Same procedure for pass si front door I will post the lift gate in a moment.

Thank you for using Just Answer. If this information was helpful please choose the ACCEPT button from menu so I can get paid for my time. If their is any others info needed I would be glad to assist.

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
    1. Lower the endgate.
      Object Number: 264366  Size: SH

2. Remove the trim panel to the endgate screws.
    3. Remove the trim panel from the endgate.
  • Remove the trim panel, as necessary. Refer to Rear Door Trim Panel Replacement .
  • Remove the water deflector, as necessary. Refer to Water Deflector Replacement .
  • Remove the access hole cover, as necessary. Refer to Access Cover Replacement - Rear Door .
    Object Number: 277857  Size: SH

• Disconnect the lock cylinder rod from the rod clip.
  • Disconnect the outside handle rod from the rod clip.
  • Remove the outside handle mounting bolts.
  • Remove the outside handle assembly.
  •  

To install just reverse removal procedure.

Once againg thank you for using Just Answer. If this information was helpful please choose the ACCEPT button from menu so I can get paid for my time. And if there is any other information needed I would be glad to assist.

• Complete the necessary procedures:
    For repair of a binding lock cylinder, refer to Lock Cylinder Binding .
    For coding a new lock cylinder, refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I am able to see your explode view diagrams, but when I try to open one of your references, a message pops up that says I'm not authorized. The one I really need to see is called front door module replacement
    Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
    Ok let me get that for you.
    Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

You may not need to remove the whole door module assembly just removing all the screws and shifting the module outward in order to gain acces should be all you need to do. if the module does not budge at first try and move the window up and down slightly.

Front Door Module Replacement

• Carefully pry out the retainer clips in order to remove the speaker, as necessary.
    Object Number: 277746  Size: SH

• Remove the inner panel bolts.
    Object Number: 277772  Size: SH

• Remove the lock rods from the following components:
    The lock handle
    The lock lever
    The lock rod guides
  • Disconnect the wiring harness.
  • Slide the inner mounting panel rearward in order to release the regulator roller from the window sash.

Remove the inner mounting panel.

•  

Thank you for using Just Answer. If this information was helpful please choose the ACCEPT button from menu so I can get paid for my time. And if there is any other information needed I would be glad to assist.

Chris, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: GM certified Technician
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That"s very helpful. In order to get my hands on both sides of the lock rod to remove the c clip it appeared that I would need to remove the entire metal plate (door module). As you suggested I will loosen all the screws enough to gain access behind the pannel to reach the c clip.

Thanks for your help! Charles