Chris
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM certified Technician
15544241

I have a 2006 Equinox with a check engine light. Autozone scanned

I have a 2006 Equinox with a check engine light. Autozone scanned and said the code meant that it was running under temp and needs either a thermostat or temperature sensor. Are they right? Is a generic sensor ($25) from them ok to use?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomeryes the most likely cause of the trouble code you described is the thermostat held open I have seen many of these come through my shop. Code P0128 thermostat under normal regulating temperature. Stating that the thermostat is stuck open not allowing the engine to reach operating temperature, I would recommend replacing the thermostat. What engine size does your vehicle have. I would be glad to get you the repair instructions and diagrams if completing the repair yourself.

Thank you for using Just Answer! Please choose the accept button if this information was helpful so I can get paid for my time. If there is any other help you need I would be glad to assist you.

Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM certified Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. It is a 2006 Chevy Equinox with 3.4 liter 6 cylinder. The temperature guage moves while driving, but we are not sure what a normal reading should be. It would apear that the thermostat is located on the driver's side of the engine in a very tight spot between engine and line from exhaust manifold. I am hoping to get it replaced today.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
  • Remove the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement .
  • Drain the coolant until the coolant level is below the thermostat. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
  • Remove the crossover exhaust pipe. Refer to Exhaust Crossover Pipe Replacement .
  • Remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing. Refer to Radiator Inlet Hose Replacement .
  • Remove the thermostat housing bolts (3) and clean any sealer from the bolt threads.
  • Remove the thermostat housing (1).
  • Remove the thermostat (2).
  • Clean the mating surfaces.
  • Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

You will have to remove the Exhaust crossover pipe to access the thermostat. If repairing yourself be sure to soak the exhaust nuts/bolts with penetrating lubricant prior to removal- WD/40 or equivalent.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Just finished... Thank you again. I did not have to remove the pipe, though. With the hose removed from the inlet, I was able to remove the 2 bolts (socket for 1 and wrench for the lower one) and by tipping the inlet, it came off the there was room for the thermostat to come out. Wife says what she thought was the oil guage (the temperature guage) never moved up and down, like it does now.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am concerned because I thought this issue was closed. I accepted, provided feedback and paid a bonus for such good service. I just asked another question in a different catagory about a camera issue and when I looked at "My Questions" it shows this as still awaiting acceptance? Did I do something wrong or is there a glitch in the system. I would hope after such prompt and accurate service by Chris that he got paid?

Thank you for updating either me on what I needed to do or your system so it shows answer as finished and accepted.