joshsdaddy2006
joshsdaddy2006, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Certified technician,PA safery & emissions inspector,shop owner
17238792

How do I reset the tire pressure monitor on 2008 Silverado,

Customer Question

How do I reset the tire pressure monitor on 2008 Silverado, after changing tires and wheels (larger diameter)?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  joshsdaddy2006 replied 5 years ago.
you hold down the black reset button located on the instrument cluster for 4 seconds, then scroll down to the tire reset, let go of the reset then hit it for each tire.Once satisfied with my answer please click ACCEPT, and any feedback recieved is appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Didn't work....it just says relearning tire positions, then tire position active, horn honks, and when I try to push the button again 4 times it just scrolls through the other catagories.

ok, yours is the oddball one then. This is right from Mitchell. But the TPMS tool is a few hundred dollars. So i would just take it to the dealer.

If you encounter an 08′ Silverado with out a DIC and see no option for tire pressure relearn by pushing the odometer trip button, and the turning the lights on and off has you scratching your head then try this procedure.

KOEO run position, parking brake set, press and hold the lock and unlock button at the same time on key fob. After a few seconds horn will blow indicating relearn is initiated. The TIRE RELEARN ACTIVE message will display on the dash too. Now use your TPMS tool starting at LF/RF/RR/LR and when you are finished it will verify with a double horn blow.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a bit confused "Joshsdaddy" as I do see the tire pressure relearn come up...and all i can do is hold it, the horn honks, and what you would expect is a fix, does nothing. Does this still sound like the "oddball" you refered to?

Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. Any time you rotate your vehicle's tires or replace one or more of the TPMS sensors, the identification codes will need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your dealer/retailer for service.

The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure. If increasing the tire's air pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the tire's sidewall.

To decrease air-pressure out of a tire you can use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air pressure gage, or a key.

You have two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than two minutes, to match the first tire and wheel, or more than five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions the matching process stops and you need to start over.

The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
  3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for approximately five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.

If your vehicle does not have RKE, press the Driver Information Center (DIC) vehicle information button until the PRESS TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.

If your vehicle does not have RKE or DIC buttons, press the trip odometer reset stem located on the instrument panel cluster until the PRESS TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.

4. Start with the driver side front tire.
  5. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
  6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
  7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
  8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and that the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
  9. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
  10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
  11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay Joshsdaddy i think I may have left something important out, and I appoligise.I changed the tires and wheels from stock white steel wheels to the alumin aluminum wheels and tires from my 2004 Denali. What I read was the tire pressure monitoring system on this vehicle does not have sensors in the wheels or valve stems, but some sort of sensor that monitors the wheel circumference, is this correct? Before asking for your assistence i did lower the tire pressure down from 42 to 36 on all for tires as what I was told at the dealer(sales manager) is the pressure is probably too low as the problem didn't occure until i lowered the pressure down after driving without any sign of problems for a week or so.
i was just reading up on your type. There is sensors in the wheels mounted on the rim itself. You said you put different rims on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes they are aluminum factory rims from my 2004 Denali, and obviously without sensors as I know for a fact it does not have tire presure monitoring.
That is why you have a warning light on then. There are no sensors to send a signal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, and again I am sorry for wasting your time as I was misinformed about the type of system it had. Do you know off hand where the sensors are so that I maybe able to switch them over to the denali wheels?

Yes, you'll have to actually pull all the tires off the rims to get them off. There are 2 types of sensors they used but they do the same thing. Just connected differently.(Snap style and Clip style) I will send you the info on both since you don't know yet which type they are. I also included the relearn you will need. And you didn't waste time, it's why we are here. Once happy with my answer please click ACCEPT, and any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Tire Pressure Indicator Sensor Replacement (Snap In Style)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable support. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
  2. Remove the tire/wheel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Service and Repair) .
  3. Dismount the tire from the rim. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Tires\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement) . Important: When servicing the tire pressure sensor always use a new Schrader(R) tire pressure monitor (TPM) and a new TORX screw during installation.

1. Remove the TORX screw (1) from the tire pressure sensor (2) and pull it straight off the tire pressure valve stem (3). Notice: Do not scratch or damage the clear coating on aluminum wheels with the tire changing equipment. Scratching the clear coating could cause the aluminum wheel to corrode and the clear coating to peel from the wheel.
  2. Remove the tire pressure valve stem by pulling it through the rim.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice .

Important:

• Ensure the flat of the valve, lines up with the flats of the snap in the enclosure.
  • TPM valves and TORX screws are one-time use only.
  1. Assemble the tire pressure sensor (2) to the valve stem and install the new TORX screw (3). Tighten the TORX screw to 1.3 N.m (11.5 lb in). Important: Use and approved tire mounting lubricant. DO NOT use silicon or corrosive base compounds to lubricate the tire bead and the wheel rim. A corrosive type compound can cause tire or rim deterioration.
  2. Apply tire soap to the rubber portion of the valve stem (1).

1. Using a tire valve stem mounting tool, pull the valve stem through in a direction parallel to the valve hole on the rim. Important: Snap Fit TPM sensors are still shipped in the OFF mode. However, the TPM no longer needs to be spun to remove it from the OFF mode. The sensor will exit its OFF state when the tire is inflated. The technician can then program the vehicle as normal.
  2. Mount the tire to the rim. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Tires\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement) .
  3. Install the tire/wheel assembly on the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Service and Repair) .
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Learn the tire pressure sensors. Refer to Tire Pressure Sensor Learn (See: Testing and Inspection) .

Tire Pressure Indicator Sensor Replacement (Clamp In Style)

Removal Procedure

2. Remove the tire/wheel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Service and Repair) . Important: Before the tire is removed from the wheel, note the following items to avoid tire pressure sensor damage upon tire dismounting:
    • Place the sensors cap and valve on a dry clean surface after removal. The cap is aluminum and the valve is nickel plated to prevent corrosion and are not to be substituted with a cap or valve made of any other material.
    • When separating the tire bead from the wheel, position the bead breaking fixture 90 degrees from the valve stem.
    • Position the mounting/dismounting head so the tire iron, or pry bar can be inserted slightly clockwise of the sensor body when prying the tire bead up and over the mounting/dismounting head.
    • Using the tire machine, rotate the tire/wheel assembly clockwise when transferring the tire bead to the out side of the wheel rim.
    • Repeat items for inner bead.
  1. Remove the tire from the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Tires\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement) .

Important: If any tire sealant is noted upon tire dismounting, remove all residual liquid sealant from the inside of the tire and wheel surfaces.

1. Remove the tire pressure sensor nut.
  2. Remove the tire pressure sensor.

Installation Procedure

1. Clean any dirt or debris from the grommet sealing area.

1. Insert the sensor in the wheel hole with the air passage facing away from the wheel. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice .
  2. Install the sensor nut and position the sensor body parallel to the inside wheel surface while torquing. Tighten the sensor nut to 7 N.m (62 lb in). Important: Before reinstalling the tire on the wheel, note the following items to avoid tire pressure sensor damage upon tire mounting:
    • Position the mounting/dismounting head 180 degrees from the valve stem.
    • Position the bead transition area 45 degrees counterclockwise of the valve stem.
    • Using the tire machine, rotate the tire/wheel assembly clockwise when transferring the tire bead to the inside of the wheel rim.
    • Repeat items for outer bead.
  1. Install the tire on the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Tires\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement) . Important: A service replacement tire pressure sensor is shipped in OFF mode. In this mode the sensor unique identification code cannot be learned into the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) memory. The sensor must be taken out of OFF mode by spinning the tire/wheel assembly above 32 km/h (20 mph) in order to close the sensors internal roll switch for at least 10 seconds.
  2. Install the tire/wheel assembly on the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation (See: Maintenance\Wheels and Tires\Service and Repair) .
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Learn the tire pressure sensors. Refer to Tire Pressure Sensor Learn (See: Testing and Inspection) .

Tire Pressure Sensor Learn

Special Tools

J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool

Learn Mode Description

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System uses the instrument panel cluster (IPC), body control module (BCM), remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), keyless entry transmitter, 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after every tire rotation, RCDLR replacement, or sensor replacement. Once the learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification codes can be learned into the RCDLR memory. When a sensor ID has been learned, the RCDLR sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted its ID and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn the sensor IDs in the proper sequence to determine correct sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear and the fourth to left rear. The turn signals will individually illuminate indicating which location is to be learned in the proper sequence.

Sensor Functions Using J-46079

Each sensor has an internal low frequency coil. When the J-46079 is used in activate mode, it produces a low frequency transmission that activates the sensor. The sensor responds to an low frequency activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Sensor Functions Using Pressure Increase/Decrease Method

Each sensor takes a pressure measurement sample once every 30 seconds while in stationary mode. If the tire pressure increases, or decreases by more than 8.3 kPa (1.2 psi) from the last pressure measurement, another measurement will occur immediately to verify the change in pressure. If a pressure change has indeed occurred, the sensor transmits in Learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a Learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Learn Mode Cancellation

The learn mode will cancel if the ignition is cycled to OFF or if more than 2 minutes has elapsed for any sensor that has not been learned. If the learn mode is cancelled before the first sensor is learned, the original sensor IDs will be maintained. If the learn mode is canceled after the first sensor is learned, the following will occur:

• All stored sensor IDs will be invalidated in the RCDLR memory.
  • If equipped, the DIC will display dashes instead of tire pressures.
  • DTC C0775 will be set.

These conditions will now require the learn procedure to be repeated for the system to function properly.

TPM Learn Procedure

Important: Before proceeding, ensure that no other learn procedure is being performed simultaneously or that tire pressures are not being adjusted on another TPM equipped vehicle within close proximity. Stray signals from other TPM equipped vehicles just driving by can be inadvertently learned. If any random horn chirps are heard from the vehicle while performing the learn procedure, most likely a stray sensor has been learned and the procedure will need to be cancelled and repeated. Under these circumstances, performing the TPM Learn Procedure away from other vehicles would be highly recommended. In the event a particular sensor pressure increase/decrease activation does not cause the horn to chirp, it may be necessary to rotate the wheel valve stem to a different position due to the sensor signal is being blocked by another component.

1. Place the ignition switch in the proper position as follows:
    • With standard ignition switch, place the switch in the RUN position.
    • With electronic keyless ignition, place the switch in the ACCY position.
  1. Initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
    • Using a scan tool, initiate the TPM Learn Mode. A double horn chirp will sound indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
    • On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
    • On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds and the DIC displays a TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
  1. Starting with the left front tire, learn the tire pressure using one of the following methods:
    • Hold the antenna of the J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

• Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.
  1. After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 3 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:
  1. Right front
  2. Right rear
  3. Left rear
  1. After the LR sensor has been learned, a double horn chirp will sound indicating all sensors have been learned.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition to exit the learn mode.
  3. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label .

joshsdaddy2006, Chevy Technician
Experience: Certified technician,PA safery & emissions inspector,shop owner
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay since I expect that there is a good chance that I may not be able to reuse the sensors with the aluminum wheels from the steel wheels, which means not just a trip to a tire shop, but purchasing new sensors for the aluminum wheels I am left with one last question, how can i disable the monitoring system, or trick it into thinking everything is fine?
i'm checking on it for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much!!!!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have other non tire related questions I would like to have your help with some time in the future, and would involve a lengthy conversation surely, so I was wondering if you might have a way to freelance your expertise to a personal phone call and charge me accordingly for your assitance?

Unfortanetly we are not aloud to give out personal information. I could be kicked off the site for doing so. I am very sorry. You can just save my name though and when you have another question, send it directly to me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sounds fine, will do!
ok thanks. And please remember i do not get paid unless you ACCEPT. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was waiting to see if you knew of a way to disable the monitoring system?????
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was waiting to see if you knew of a way to disable the monitoring system?
Sorry, i had posted an answer for you, but i see now it didn't come up for some reason. To answer your last question though. I thought maybe you could just pull a fuse or relay. But that isn't the case. I looked over the whole wiring sytem for the tire pressure sensors and unfortanitly they are tied in with alot of other components. Such as the body control mudule, instrument cluster, driver info center,remote door locks. Fuse wise for the indicater bulb, that is tied in with other bulbs, so you don't want to pull that. There may be some trick to it, but i can't see how. Not without diabling other components.