Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.

Volt meter..pin..the negative battery cable and plug it..awhile

Customer Question

I have a 2005 silverado the volt meter is going from 14 to 12 and not coming back up. I can unplug the 10 pin plug that is located on the negative battery cable and plug it back in and the problem will go away for awhile I have owned the truck for 4 years and this is the first time its done this. Whats wrong
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 5 years ago.
When the voltage on the gauge goes down to 12 volts, does the battery light come on??

How many miles are on the truck??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
63400 miles, the battery light does not come on. The first time it did this the check engine light came on, I unhooked the battery, hooked it back up and the light went out and did not come back on. I then took the truck to a trusted auto electric shop he checked for trouble codes and nothing in the history. He explained to me that the next time it happens to try unpluging the 2 wire plug on top of the alternator and it should self excite and go to 13.8. the problem happened again later that day, did as he said and checked with a voltmeter and it went to 13.8, thats when I unplugged and plugged back in the 10 pin plug and it brought the voltage back to 14.7
The problem may not be in the charging system, but the clusster(gauge), GM has had a issue with the clusters in the 2003-2005 trucks. The cluster will be replaced for free for your truck since it has less then 70k miles. I would take it to your local dealer and tell them that the voltage gauge sticks at times. They should order one for you, takes 1-2 days and replace it for you at no charge. If this does not fix the problem, you will have a new cluster at no charge.Unless the battery light comes on, the alternator should be good. This is a copy of the GM bulletin.

#07187C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function - (Mar 20, 2009)
Subject:07187C -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION
Models:2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT
2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)
2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE
2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)
2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL
2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE CERTAIN 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES IN THE U.S. ADDITIONALLY, FOR U.S. 2003-2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, GM WILL PROVIDE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) ONLY, AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER FOR VERIFIED FAILURES BETWEEN 70,001 MILES (110,001 KM) AND 80,000 MILES (130,000 KM). ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS, INCLUDING LABOR TO REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER, WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CUSTOMER. DEALERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN OF THE CUSTOMER'S IPC BACK TO THE ELECTRONIC SERVICE CENTER. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 07187B, ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008..

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 2003 and 2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

2005

Chevrolet

Silverado

51100014

51247028

2005

Chevrolet

Silverado

5E100002

5E223209

2005

Chevrolet

Silverado

5F800001

5F882297

2005

Chevrolet

Silverado

5Z100003

5Z224691

2003

Chevrolet

Suburban

3G100007

3G348254