JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

How to remove a 4l60e transmission on a 1997 tahoe withXXXXX

how to remove a 4l60e transmission on a 1997 tahoe withXXXXX
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 years ago.
Transmission Assembly Removal and Replacement
Notes
  • Tool Required:
  • J 21366 Converter Holding Strap

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. Negative battery cable.
    • Raise and support the vehicle.
  1. Transmission oil.
  2. Shift cable.
  3. Propeller shaft from the transmission (two wheel drive only).
    • Front propeller shaft from the transfer case (four wheel drive only).
    • Transfer case and adapter from the transmission. (four wheel drive only).
    • Support the transmission with a transmission jack.

1. Two bolts, two washers, and a nut securing the brace to the engine and transmission.
    • The image depicts the left side brace mounting to the engine and transmission. The right side mounting of the brace is similar.

1. Nut and washer securing the transmission mount to the crossmember.
  2. Two bolts and washers securing the mount to the transmission.
  3. Bolts securing the crossmember to the frame.
  4. Starter.
  5. Exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifolds and the muffler assembly from the exhaust pipe if required.
  6. Oil Level Indicator Tube.
  7. Wiring harness connectors from the transmission speed sensor and the park/neutral position switch.
    • Remove all vehicle harness wires, harness clips, tubes, brackets, and lines that may interfere with the removal of the transmission from the vehicle.
  1. Oil cooler lines from the transmission.
    • Plug all openings in the transmission and the oil cooler lines.
  1. Transmission vent hose from the transmission.

1. Bolts securing the torque converter cover to the transmission.
  1. J 21366 Converter Holding Strap to the converter.

Important: Ensure that the engine is supported with a jack stand before detaching the transmission from the engine.

1. Studs and/or bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
    • Pull the transmission straight back from the engine.
    • Lower the transmission using the transmission jack.
  1. Transmission from the vehicle.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

1. Transmission to the engine.
    • Ensure that the torque converter is seated properly and that the converter holding strap J 21366 is in place.
    • Ensure that the transmission is supported with a transmission jack.
    • Raise the transmission into place and remove J 21366 while lining up the marks on the flywheel and torque converter.

Important: The torque converter must be flush onto the flywheel and rotate freely by hand.

1. Bolts and/or studs securing the transmission to the engine.
    • Transmission to engine bolts and/or studs to 47 Nm (34 ft. lbs.) .

1. Position the torque converter to the flywheel.
  1. Three bolts securing the torque converter to the flywheel.
  1. Starter.
  2. Bolts securing the torque converter cover to the transmission.
    • Torque converter cover bolts to 33 Nm (24 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Wiring harness connectors to the transmission speed sensor and park/neutral position switch.
    • Position/install all vehicle harness wires, harness clips, tubes, brackets, and lines that were removed or moved prior to the transmission removal.
  1. Transmission cooler lines to the transmission.
    • Unplug all of the openings in the transmission and oil cooler lines.
    • Do not twist or bend the lines during installation.
  1. Oil level indicator tube with a new seal.
    • Ensure that the oil level indicator tube plug is removed from the transmission case.
  1. Transmission vent hose and wiring harness to the transmission.
    • Remove the transmission jack.
  1. Bolts securing the crossmember to the frame.
    • Bolts to 77 Nm (56 ft. lbs.) .
    • Bolts to 52 Nm (38 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Two bolts and washers securing the mount to the transmission.
    • Tighten bolts to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.) .
    • Tighten:
    • Transmission to engine brace bolts (Gasoline Engine) to 55 Nm (41 ft. lbs.) .
    • Transmission to engine brace bolts (Diesel Engine) to 70 Nm (51 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifolds and the muffler assembly to the exhaust pipe if required.
  2. Transfer case and adapter to the transmission. (four wheel drive only).
  1. Propeller shaft to the transmission (two wheel drive only).
  2. Propeller shafts to the transfer case (four wheel drive only).
  3. Shift cable to the transmission shift lever.
    • Lower the vehicle.
  1. New transmission oil.
  2. Negative battery cable.
  3. Start the engine and check for transmission oil leaks.
  4. Test the transmission for normal operation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not very detailed. I could of cut and pasted from a manual. I'm looking for tips and tricks images are not great.
Its really cut and dry unbolt the tranny drop the drive shafts, drop the starter and the exhaust remove the tranny lines and linkages, The upper bell housing bolts can be a knuckle buster but its a pretty basic job
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
First I read that you did have to remove any exhaust.

There are two support the first one is easy but there is another cross member by the rear drive line that look very difficult to remove. do you have to remove this or will the tranny side back and then fwd.

i would slide it bask then forward and muscle it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
three more easy question
how to easy drain the fluid (I have no special tools)
how to fill it and how much

how heavy is the tranmission with 4x4
250 lbs or so to empty the fluid the tranny pan must be removed, fluid is 11 quarts including converter
if i was helpful please hit accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

last question : after re-read ,how do you take off the Oil cooler lines from the transmission.??
It is a quick connect line you will need a quick connect line tool
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech