Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.
4232346

2001 Chevrolet Suburban 1500: 2wd..the oil pressure sending unit

Customer Question

2001 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 2wd oil leaking down the back of the motor, the oil appears after running for several minutes then shutting down the vehicle, it is coming out between the engine and transmission at the lowest point ( slightly in front of the inspection port on the transmission) Originally it was a severe leak and have so far replaced the rear main seal, the gasket around the rear seal cover, the intake manifold gasket and valley pan gasket, the oil pressure sending unit and the oil cooler mounting plate gasket. After all this the leak is much smaller, but still present, it appears that the rear of the heads and valve cover gaskets are all dry.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 7 years ago.
If this is a GEN III engine (4.8, 5.3 or 6.0) then there is one common place for oil to leak at the rear of the engine, it will look as if the rear main is leaking. The cam position sensor is located at the top rear of the engine, next to the oil pressure sensor. It has a o-ring on the sensor that stops oil from leaking out. The sel is down a bit from the top, It will not leak out the top where the sensor is mounted, but just above the rear main seal cover plate. You can replace the o-ring, you do not have to replace the sensor.

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Clean the area around the camshaft position (CMP) sensor before removal in order to prevent debris from entering the engine.

Object Number: 260128  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I hope this works, I'll give it a try tomorrow, really was not looking forward to pulling the tranny again, the crazy thing is, when i replaced the oil pressure sender and valley pan gasket, i stared right at the cam sensor and didn't see any oil around the top so I thought it was fine. Thanks for the quick response.
YOU CAN REPACE THIS WITHOUT PULLING THE TRANS. You can reach it behind the intake between the firewall, its tight and hard to see but all possible. I have replaced many sesnors like this with no problems.

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 260128  Size: SH

1. Remove the engine sight shield, if required. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical-4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L.
  2. Disconnect the CMP sensor electrical connector.
  3. Remove the CMP sensor bolt.
  4. Remove the CMP sensor.