JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

2007 Impala: check engine light..Secondary Air injection system

I have a 2007 Impala with a check engine light. the code is p2440. Secondary Air injection system shut off valve stuck open. Where is this valve and how do I check it out?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 years ago.

here is the test chart......most likely it will need a air pump

P2440
Notes

DTC P2440

Diagnostic Instructions

DTC Descriptor

DTC P2440

• Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Valve Stuck Open

Diagnostic Fault Information

Typical Scan Tool Data

Circuit/System Description

The secondary air injection (AIR) system aids in the reduction of hydrocarbon emissions during a cold start. The system forces fresh filtered air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate the catalyst operation. An electric air pump, the secondary AIR injection pump, provides filtered air on demand to the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly. The AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly controls the flow of air from the AIR pump to the exhaust manifold. The AIR valve relay supplies the current needed to operate the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly. A pressure sensor is used to monitor the air flow from the AIR pump. The engine control module (ECM) supplies the internal pressure sensor with a 5-volt reference, an electrical ground, and a signal circuit.

The AIR diagnostic uses 3 phases to test the AIR system:

1. DTCs P0411 and P2430 run during Phase 1
  2. DTCs P2430 and P2440 run during Phase 2
  3. DTC P2444 runs during Phase 3

During phase 1, both the AIR pump and the solenoid valve are activated. Normal secondary air function occurs. Expected system pressure is 8-10 kPa above BARO.

During phase 2, only the AIR pump is activated. The solenoid valve is closed. Pressure sensor performance and solenoid valve deactivation are tested. Expected system pressure is 15-20 kPa above BARO.

During phase 3, neither the AIR pump nor the solenoid valve is activated. AIR pump deactivation is tested. Expected system pressure equals BARO.

In all 3 phases, testing is accomplished by comparing the measured pressure against the expected pressure. The ECM can detect faults in the AIR pump, AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly, and the exhaust check valve. The pressure sensor can also detect leaks and restrictions in the secondary AIR system plumbing.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0201-P0206, P0300, P0411, P0412, P0418, P0420, P0606, P0641, P0651, P2430, P2431, P2432, P2433 are not set.
  • The system voltage is 9-18 volts .
  • The BARO parameter is more than 60 kPa .
  • The MAF sensor parameter is between 3-24 g/s .
  • The AIR system is commanded ON.
  • The start-up engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 5-50°C (41-122°F) .
  • The start-up intake air temperature (IAT) is between 5-60°C (41-140°F) .
  • The conditions are stable for more than 5 seconds .
  • DTC P2440 runs once per trip start up when the above conditions are met and AIR pump operation is requested.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The AIR system does not meet expected pressure conditions.
  • DTC P2440 sets with in 8 seconds when the above conditions are met.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P2440 is a Type B DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTC P2440 is a Type B DTC.

Circuit/System Verification

Important: This DTC may set if the ignition is turned OFF and the engine is restarted within approximately 30 seconds during Phase 2 of the AIR diagnostic test.

• If any Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Sensor Circuit DTCs are set, perform those diagnostics first.
  • Inspect the AIR hoses/pipes between the pump and the shut-off valve for leaks.
  • Engine running, enable the AIR pump and observe that the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter increases to approximately 15-20 kPa above barometric pressure (BARO).

Circuit/System Testing

1. Disconnect the solenoid valve.
  2. Ignition ON, observe that a test lamp installed between the solenoid voltage supply and the solenoid control circuit terminals is not illuminated.
    • If the test lamp is illuminated, test for a short to voltage on the solenoid voltage supply circuit. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the relay.
  1. Inspect the AIR pump inlet and outlet hoses/pipes for restrictions.
  2. Inspect the solenoid valve for leaks.

Component Testing

Relay Test

1. Test between the normally-closed switch terminals, if any, for 0 ohms .
  2. Test between the normally-open switch terminals for infinite ohms .
  3. Test between each switch terminal and either coil terminal for infinite ohms .
  4. Connect the relay coil terminals to ground and fused power to energize the relay.
  5. Test between each switch terminal and each coil terminal for 0 volts .
  6. Test between the normally-closed switch terminals, if any, for infinite ohms .
  7. Test between the normally-open switch terminals for 0 ohms .

Repair Instructions

Repair Verification

With the engine running, enable the AIR pump and observe that the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter increases to approximately 15-20 kPa above BARO.

JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech
Service and Repair
Notes

Secondary Air Injection Pump Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the air cleaner upper housing.
  2. From under the hood, disconnect the secondary air injection (AIR) pump hose quick connect fitting (2) from the pump and remove the hose. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service.
  3. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Disconnect the AIR feed tube quick connect fitting (2) from the pump.
  2. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector.
  3. Squeeze the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector clip (1) together and push out in order to separate the clip/connector from the bracket.

1. Remove the AIR pump nuts.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Reposition the AIR pump feed tube as necessary in order to remove the pump.
  4. Remove the AIR pump.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the AIR pump to the bracket.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.
  3. Install the AIR pump nuts. Tighten the nuts to 10 N.m (89 lb in) .

1. Install the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector clip (1) to the bracket.

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector to the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector.

1. Connect the AIR feed tube quick connect fitting (2) to the pump.
  2. Lower the vehicle.

1. From under the hood, position and connect the AIR pump hose quick connect fitting (2) to the pump. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service.
  2. Install the air cleaner upper housing.