Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

1998 corvette: my crankshaft harmonic balancer

Customer Question

1998 corvette, need instructions on replacing my crankshaft harmonic balancer
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com!

Install a flywheel locking tool.

Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt. Do not discard the crankshaft balancer bolt.

Mark or scribe the crankshaft balancer and the end of the crankshaft.

Remove the crankshaft balancer.

Remove the crankshaft balancer washer.

Note the position of the crankshaft balance weights, if applicable.

Using the old balancer as a reference, mark or scribe the new balancer in the same location, if applicable.

Install balance weights into the new balancer, if applicable.

Install the crankshaft balancer washer.

Position the balancer onto the end of the crankshaft.

Assemble the Crankshaft Seal Installer J-41478 threaded rod, nut, washer and the Balancer Installer J-41665. Insert the smaller end of the installer into the front of the balancer.

Use a wrench and hold the hex end of the threaded rod.

Use a second wrench and rotate the installation tool nut clockwise until the balancer is started onto the crankshaft.

Remove the tool and reverse the installation tool. Position the larger end of the installer against the front of the balancer.

Remove the balancer installation tools.

Install the used crankshaft balancer bolt and tighten to 240 ft. lbs. (330 Nm).

Remove the used crankshaft balancer bolt.

NOTE Ensure the nose of the crankshaft should be recessed 2.4-4.48 mm (0.094-0.176 in) into the balancer bore.

Measure for a correctly installed balancer. If the balancer is not installed to the proper dimensions, repeat the installation procedure.

Install the NEW crankshaft balancer bolt and tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt a first pass to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)., then an additional 140 degrees.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no room to access the balancer/ bolt/. does the rack & pinion or other have to come off? If so I need more detailed info on how to do so.
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 years ago.

Removal of the power steering gear & the power steering cooler from the front crossmember will be needed.

Here is Chevrolet procedure:

click below

REMOVE BALANCER

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do program the transmitters?(the very last thing mentioned)

Transmitters??
Doesn't show above in the original question.........

Here is Chevrolet procedure:

Programming Transmitters

1. Turn the ignition to ON.
  2. Turn the radio to OFF.
  3. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC warning messages.
  4. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
  5. Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds .
  6. Press the OPTIONS button until FOB TRAINING message is displayed.
  7. Press the RESET button in order to begin the programming sequence. The message HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB will be displayed.
  8. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds . The IPC will indicate when that transmitter is programmed and when to proceed to the next. Repeat this procedure for each additional transmitter or press the OPTIONS button to exit.

Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience: Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've clicked accept, you should be paid
Yes sir.........
THANK YOU............
Thanks for using J/A