Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

I have a 2000 chevy s10 4.3 with a no start. I have fuel press.

I have a 2000 chevy s10 4.3 with a no start. I have fuel press. about 45 to 50 pounds with just key on. I have spark. It will start and run ok if I spray starting fluid . no codes . and when i do get it running all data on my scanner look ok
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like a Filter or (most likely) a Fuel Pump problem, as the Fuel Pressure for this engine with Key On, Engine Off is 60-66 psi.
You may want to change Fuel Filter first
The fuel filter is located on the Left Hand frame rail
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I get it running with start fluid fuel press. is ok
You posted that the Fuel Pressure is 45 - 50 lbs..............
That would be O.K for running (on low side) but not for starting as the system needs to pressure up to start & run
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when running i get 60 to 65 pounds

Thanks for the added info..........
The Fuel system uses a "spyder" type Injection. They are famous for leaking.
You need to test for leakage with the Key On & Engine Off to see if there is any loss of Fuel Pressure:

1. When the ignition is ON and the fuel pump is running, the fuel pressure indicated by the fuel pressure gauge should read 414-455 kPa (60-66 psi ). The spring pressure inside the fuel pressure regulator controls the fuel pressure.
  2. A fuel system that drops more than 34 kPa (5 psi ) in 10 minutes has a leak in one or more of the following areas:
    • The fuel pump check valve
    • The fuel pump flex pipe
    • The valve or valve seat within the fuel pressure regulator
    • The fuel injectors
    • A fuel pipe
  1. A fuel system that drops more than 14 kPa (2 psi ) in 10 minutes after being relieved to 69 kPa (10 psi ) indicates a leaking fuel pump check valve.
  2. Fuel pressure that drops-off during acceleration, cruise or hard cornering may cause a lean condition. A lean condition can cause a loss of power, surging, or misfire. You can diagnose a lean condition using a scan tool. If an extremely lean condition occurs, the heated oxygen sensors will stop toggling. The heated oxygen sensor output voltages will drop below 300 mV . The fuel injector pulse width will increase. IMPORTANT: Make sure the fuel system is not operating in the Fuel Cut-Off Mode. This can cause false indications by the scan tool.
  3. When you open the throttle quickly, the manifold pressure increases (low vacuum). The fuel pressure regulator increases the fuel pressure as the engine vacuum drops in order to compensate for engine load.
  1. A rich condition may result from the fuel pressure being above 455 kPa (66 psi ). A rich condition may cause a DTC to set. Driveability conditions associated with rich conditions can include hard starting followed by black smoke and a strong sulfur smell in the exhaust.
  2. This test determines if the high fuel pressure is due to a restricted fuel return pipe or if the high fuel pressure is due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator.
  1. A lean condition may result from the fuel pressure being below 414 kPa (60 psi ). A lean condition may cause a DTC to set. Driveability conditions associated with lean conditions can include hard starting (when the engine is cold), hesitation, poor driveability, lack of power, surging, and misfiring. NOTE : Do not. allow the fuel pressure to exceed 517 kPa (75 psi ). Excessive pressure may damage the fuel pressure regulator.
  2. Restricting the fuel return pipe with the fuel pipe shut-off adapter causes the fuel pressure to rise above the regulated fuel pressure. Using a scan tool to pressurize the fuel system, the fuel pressure should rise above 455 kPa (66 psi ) as the valve on the fuel pipe shut-off adapter connected to the fuel return pipe becomes partially closed.
  1. If the injectors are not grounded, check the spark plug associated with a particular fuel injector for fouling or saturation in order to determine if that particular fuel injector is leaking. If checking the spark plug associated with a particular fuel injector for fouling or saturation does not determine that a particular fuel injector is leaking, use the following procedure:
  1. Remove the fuel meter body assembly. Refer to Fuel Meter Body Assembly Replacement
  2. Reinstall the engine compartment fuel feed and return pipes to the fuel meter body and the chassis fuel pipes. Refer to Fuel Hose/Pipes Replacement (Engine Compartment).
  3. Lift the fuel meter body assembly just enough to leave the fuel injector poppet nozzles in the ports.
  4. Pressurize the fuel system by using the scan tool fuel pump enable.
  5. Visually and physically inspect the fuel injector poppet nozzles for leaks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If i can't get 60 pounds with key on from the fuel pump would you change it. I don't know if this truck has the updated spyder injector assy.

You need to do a Leak test prior to changing any parts.
It is typical of this engine to have Injector leakage & installing a new pump may be wasting your time & money

Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience: Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.