Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 1995 Blazer S10, the gas line from the filter under

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Blazer S10, the gas line from the filter under the truck is leaking, where does it go? (it runs along the trans to the motor with two other lines) and how do I replace it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

Steel Fuel Line Repair

IMPORTANT NOTES

• Steel fuel lines - These are welded steel tubes, meeting GM specifications 124-M, or its equivalent. The fuel feed line is 3/8 inches diameter and the fuel return line is 5/16 inches diameter. Do not use copper or aluminum tubing to replace steel tubing. Those materials do not have satisfactory durability to withstand normal vehicle vibration.
  • Coupled hose - Do not repair the hoses. Replace them only as an assembly.
  • Uncoupled hose - Use only reinforced fuel resistant hose, made of Fluoroelastomer material. Do not use a hose within 4 inches (100 mm) of any part of the exhaust system, or within 10 inches (2154 mm) of the catalytic converter. The hoses inside diameter must match the outside diameter of the steel tubing.
  • Clamps - These are stainless steel, screw bank-type clamps, #2494772, or equivalent.

PROCEDURE

1. Cut a piece of fuel hose 4 inches (100 mm) longer than the section of line to be removed. If you remove more than 6 inches (152 mm), use a combination of steel pipe and hose. The hose length should not be more than 10 inches total.
  2. With a tube cutter, cut a section of the pipe to replace. Use the first step to form a bead on the ends of the pipe and, also, on the new section of pipe, if used.
  3. Slide the hose clamps onto the pipe and push the hose 2 inches (51 mm) onto each portion of the fuel pipe. Tighten a clamp on each side of the repain
  4. Secure fuel line to the frame.
  5. Check for leaks.
Fuel Hose and Pipes

Diagram
Diagram

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Release Procedure .
  3. Disconnect the fittings at the engine compartment fuel feed and return pipes.
  4. Disconnect the fuel pipe attaching hardware.
  5. Disconnect the fuel feed and return pipe nuts at the fuel inlet and fuel outlet assembly.
  6. Disconnect the fuel feed and return pipes and O-rings. Discard O-rings.
  7. Remove the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Assembly .
  8. Disconnect the fuel feed and vapor hoses. On 4DR Utility, the quick-connect fittings at the fuel sender assembly. Refer to Fuel Hose and Pipes.
  9. Remove the hardware retaining section of pipe to be replaced. Note location of attaching hardware for installation.
  10. Remove the section of pipe and hoses.
  11. Remove rust or burrs from the engine compartment fuel pipes by the following procedure:
11.1.Use emery cloth in a radial motion with the fuel pipe end in order to prevent damage to the O-ring sealing surface.
11.2.Using a clean shop towel, wipe off the male tube ends.
11.3.Inspect all the Connectors for dirt and burrs. Clean or replace the components/assemblies as required.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

WARNING: To Reduce the Risk of Fire and Personal Injury: Before connecting the fitting, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe end. This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak (During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated .

1. Install the new O-rings on the engine fuel feed and return pipes.
  2. Connect the fuel feed and return pipes to the fuel injection unit. Finger tighten only.
  3. Connect the fuel pipe attaching hardware. Tighten
    • Fuel pipe attaching nuts to 27 Nm (20 lb. ft.) using a back-up wrench.
  1. Position new fuel pipe harness in original location and fuel pipe harness attaching hardware.
  2. Remove protective caps from one end of both fuel pipes. Leave caps on other end of pipes to prevent dirt from entering.
  3. Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male connector tube ends.
  4. Connect the quick-connect fittings at the fuel feed and pipe near the in-line filter and at the fuel sender assembly. Refer to Fuel Hose and Pipes .
  5. Install the fuel tank and attaching hardware if the tank was removed.
  6. Tighten the fuel filler cap.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Check for fuel leaks.
11.1.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds.
11.2.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 10 seconds.
11.3.Again, turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
11.4.Check for fuel leaks.
Engine Compartment Fuel Pipes

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the Fuel Pressure Release Procedure .

Diagram

1. Disconnect the fuel lines at rear of the intake manifold.

Diagram

1. Remove the nuts.
  2. Remove the retainer.
  3. Disconnect the injector fuel inlet pipe and the outlet pipe.

Diagram

1. Remove the rear fuel line bracket.

Diagram

1. Pull straight up on fuel pipe to remove fuel pipes from injector assembly.
  2. Remove the O-ring seals from both ends of the fuel feed and return pipes and discard. NOTE : Check the injector assembly to insure the O-rings have been removed, using the seal retainer tool.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

WARNING: To Reduce the Risk of Fire and Personal Injury: Before connecting the fitting, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe end. This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak (During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector wall swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated .

NOTE : Remember to install the new O-rings into the inlet and outlet of the fuel injector assembly, using the seal retainer tool.

1. Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male tube ends.
  2. Connect the fuel feed and return pipes to fuel assembly.
  3. Install the fuel pipe retainer and attaching nuts. Once installed, pull on both ends of each connection to make sure they are secure.
  4. Install the rear fuel pipe clip retaining bolt. Tighten
    • Tighten the rear fuel line bracket bolt to 6.O Nm (53 lb. in.) .
    • Tighten the fuel pipe retainer nuts to 3.0 Nm (27 lb. in.) .
  1. Install the new O-ring seals on the engine fuel feed and return pipes.
  2. Connect the fuel feed and return lines to the engine fuel pipes. Tighten
    • Tighten the fuel pipe nuts to 30.O Nm (22 lb. ft) .
  1. Tighten the fuel filler cap.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.
  3. Check for fuel leaks.
9.1.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds.
9.2.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 10 seconds.
9.3.Again, turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
9.4.Check for fuel leaks.
Fuel Hose and Assemblies

MATERIALS
FUEL LINES
These are welded steel tubes, meeting GM Specifications 124-M, or its equivalent. The fuel feed line is 3/8" diameter and the fuel return line is 5/16" diameter. Not use copper or aluminum tubing to replace steel tubing. Those materials do not have satisfactory durability to withstand normal vehicle vibration.

COUPLED HOSE
These are not to be repaired and are replaced only as an assembly.

UNCOUPLED HOSE
Use only reinforced furl resistant hose, made of "Fluoroelastomer" material. Do not use a hose within 4" (100 mm) of any part of the exhaust system, or within 10" (254 mm) of the catalytic converter. The hose's inside diameter must match the outside diameter of the steel tubing.

CLAMPS
These are stainless steel, screw bank-type clamps, #2494772, or equivalent.

Fuel System Cleaning (Purge Feed and Return Pipes)

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the fuel feed and return pipes at the fuel injection unit. Refer to Fuel Hose and Pipes . NOTE : Inspect the in-line fuel filter for contamination. Replace the fuel filter if it is plugged.
  2. Disconnect the in-line fuel filter. Refer to In-Line Fuel Filter . NOTE : Use only oil free compressed air to blow out the fuel pipes.
  1. Clean the fuel lines by applying air pressure in the opposite direction of fuel flow.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install a new strainer (if necessary) on the fuel sender assembly. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly . NOTE : Do not fold or twist the strainer when installing the sending unit. This action restricts fuel flow.
  2. Install the fuel sender assembly with a new seal into the fuel tank.
  3. Install the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Assembly .
  4. Disconnect the fuel feed pipe at the fuel injection unit.
  5. Connect a hose to the fuel feed pipe at the fuel injection unit. Insert the other end of the hose into a 3.8 liter (one gallon) fuel can.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Add twenty-three liters (six gallons) of clean fuel into the fuel tank.
  8. Purge the fuel pump and lines.
  9. Using a fused jumper, connect the fuel pump test terminal to B+ to operate the fuel pump. Operate the fuel pump until 2 liters (1/2 gallon) flows into the fuel can.
  10. Remove the jumper.
  11. Connect the fuel line at the fuel injection unit.
  12. Check for fuel leaks
12.1.Turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds.
12.2.Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
12.3.Again, turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
12.4.Check for fuel leaks.

i hope this helps

Except 4DR Utility

In-line Fuel Filter

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

NOTE : If the in-line filter is plugged, the fuel tank should be inspected internally and cleaned if necessary.

3. Disconnect the fuel feed pipes at the filter.
  4. Remove the in-line fuel filter clamp attaching hardware.
  5. Remove the clamp from the filter.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Remove the protective caps from the new filter.
  2. Install the clamp to the filter.
  3. Install the in-line filter clamp attaching hardware. NOTE : Install in the same positions as on the old filter noting direction of fuel flow arrow.
  4. Connect the fuel feed pipes to the filter and tighten.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Inspect for fuel leaks.
6.1.Turn ON the ignition switch for 2 seconds.
6.2.Turn OFF the ignition switch for 10 seconds.
6.3.Again, turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
6.4.Check for fuel leaks.
4DR Utility

Diagram

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

5. Remove the clamp from the filter.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

2. Install the clamp to the filter.
  3. Install the in-line filter clamp attaching hardware.

NOTE : Install in the same positions as on the old filter noting direction of fuel flow arrow.

1. Connect the fuel feed pipes to the filter and tighten.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.
  3. Inspect for fuel leaks.
6.4.Check for fuel leaks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think you have me doing way to much removing the gas tank? This line comes off the fuel filter and goes where? (You haven't said). Also the line is both hard and rubber (pressure hose I guess being it only leaks when the trduck is running) only want to know how to repair it. Can it be spliced???

hi

yes .this line gos to the back of the throttle body...it can be cut, and use a 3/8 brass compression coupler[can buy at most hardware stores]ou can take the easy way and buy some rubber fuel line and clamps at the auto parts store

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's the rubber part of the line that leaks, it wore a hole in it from rubbing against the trans differential caseing. Can it too be spliced with some hard line and a couple clamps?

hi

ic..yes.use a peice of 3/8 steel line,cut the rubber line and splice it...use 2 clamps on each side,sense these hold around 60psi...this will work

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3/8 OD right?

yes....but you may want to use a 3/8 x 3/8 barbed fitting that you can buy at the auto parts store for a couple of bucks

thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!

you are welcome

thanks for useing justanswer