JD, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  10+ years working on automobiles of several makes and models
16040521

how to flush and refill cooling system on 2006 Chevy HHR

Category: Chevy
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com!

DO NOT USE a chemical flush to flush your coolant system. Various methods and equipment can be sued to flush the cooling system. If special equipment is used, such as a back flusher, follow the manufacturer's instruction. However, ALWAYS remove the thermostat before back flushing the system.

Procedures are below..

Block the drive wheels
Place the transmission in Park (P) or Neutral (N)
Engage the park brake
Run the engine until the thermostat opens
Stop the engine
Drain the old coolant and refill with clean drinkable water. Repeat this step if necessary, until the water is nearly colorless.
Fill the coolant reservoir to the FULL COLD mark
Fill the cooling system SLOWLY with a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL antifreeze and deionized water until the coolant level reaches and maintains slightly above the cold fill line on the surge tank.
With coolant pressure cap INSTALLED start the engine and run it at 2,000 - 2,500 RPM for 3 minutes
Allow the engine to idle for 30 seconds
Shut off the engine and top off coolant as necessary
Fill the coolant reservoir to the cold fill line
Inspect the cooling system for leaks and inspect the concentration of the coolant mixture.

Air can sometimes enter the cooling system lines when flushing the system. If this occurs and you experience overheating after the flush, remove the radiator pressure cap and run engine for a few minutes. This will allow the air to escape from the cooling system.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WHAT ABOUT USING TOOL # XXXXX AND J-42401-3
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.
42401 is a surge tank/radiator cap tester..these tools are only needed if performing a GE 47716 Fill. You will be performing a simple Static Fill which does not require these special tools. The GE 47716 fill procedure requires the special tool GE-47716, which is a very expensive vacuum type tool mainly used at dealers and large repair shops.
JD, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 10+ years working on automobiles of several makes and models