BRENT T.
BRENT T., Chevy Technician
Experience:  GENERAL MOTORS MASTER TECHNICIAN, ASE CERTIFIED, 15 YEARS IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
18046540

right headlight dim left headlight fine

right headlight dim left headlight fine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BRENT T. replied 5 years ago.
WHAT IS THE YEAR AND MAKE OF THE VEHICLE SO I CAN LOOK UP THE CORRECT INFORMATION ....THANKS BRENT T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
98 caviler
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
went through the front harness checking for shorts looked good hook it up and same thing.Left headlight is bright right headlight is dim hi beams will not change the outcome
Expert:  BRENT T. replied 5 years ago.

THANKS FOR THE CHANCE TO HELP ON YOUR REPAIR QUEST. HERE IS SOME INFORMATION THAT MAY HELP YOU.

Introduction

As far as the lighting in your vehicle goes the headlights are among the most important. These headlights draw a significant amount of amperage. This amperage usage strains the voltage supply system causing malfunctions. One of the most common failures is one dim headlight. This problem seems like it would be hard to repair but surprisingly it is not. A simple test and repair are all that is required to fix this problem. Follow the test.

Troubleshooting Procedure - READ COMPLETELY BEFORE BEGINNING

• Attach a test light lead to good ground source -
  • Gain access to the rear of the headlight, you may have to remove the headlight or locate the wiring harness that feeds the headlight in question.

• Turn the headlights to the on position, regular mode, not high beam (do not start the engine). Using the test light probe the headlight electrical connector. Two out of three terminals on the connector will cause the test light to illuminate.

• Remove the electrical connector from the headlight. With the headlights still "on" test the electrical connector, one of the two that had power will still have power. The terminal that had power before the headlight connector was removed and now does not is the problem. This wire/connection is the "ground" circuit for the headlight.

• This ground completes the electrical circuit. The reason the headlight is dim is because the full voltage cannot be delivered to the headlight filament. Clean or reconnect the ground circuit wire to a new ground source and recheck headlight operation. Reassemble as needed.

HERE IS THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR YOUR VEHICLE....

Headlights: Daytime Running Lights Without Fog Lamps

If you have any further questions regarding this vehicle feel free to continue this conversation....

Paying the Deposit does not pay me. Please ACCEPT my answer when you are satisfied. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated! PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP Thanks Again Brent T.

BRENT T., Chevy Technician
Experience: GENERAL MOTORS MASTER TECHNICIAN, ASE CERTIFIED, 15 YEARS IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
found a ground on the left side under battery tray claenaed and reconected did not change. Do you know were the ground is for headlight in question.Did all this thought it would fix did not. The ground under battery tray is for the turn signels.