frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

How to Replace an ABS Wheel Sensor in a Chevy Silverado 15

Customer Question

How to Replace an ABS Wheel Sensor in a Chevy Silverado 1500
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.
What year and 2 orXXXXX What ids the problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2000 Silverado 1500 4x4. Brake pedal pulses and sometimes doesn't stop where it should at low speeds such as in parking lot. Info on internet says to clean or replace all 3 ABS speed sensors. Pictures would be great.
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.
No picutures-but depending on where you live(rust belt)there was a recall out on that-its remove and clean the front speed sensors mounting surface.I take it you have metric sockets/wrenches(the caliper brakeys have to come off and they are tight) and you have some mechanical skills.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 53 years young and have been working on my own cars/trucks since the 70's. Have many tools and experience replacing brake pads/shoes.
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.
Then its no problem and almost a no brainer-remove the cailper then the caliper braket(less weight and more room when seperated but not neccessary to seperate)remove the rotor-you will see the sensor sticking with the wire on it-remove the allen bolts and ROTATE the sensor to brake it free in the knuckle then CAREFULL slide it up(they do breake)You will have to rotate it and push on teh disc cover a little but the sensor will come out with out disconnecting it or braking it if your patient-then uses a flat file and plane the knuckle where the mounting surface of the sensor clean and flat-use cotton to plug the hole first to keep metal from getting into the hub bearing.Your suppose to add a coating of high zinc priner to the knuckle nut a good water resistance grease works- then reassemble-Dont forget to clean the rust from the sensor and the rotor to hub mounting area so you dont wind up with a brake vibration from excessive rotor run out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should I assume this is to be done to all 3 sensors? Which rear wheel has the sensor? driver or passenger side? Thanx for your help!
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.
The problem is only with the front- and if you had a scanner you can watch the speed sensor literally drop out-What happens is the magnetic field of the senor to the recultor ring changes as the sensor is lifte by the rust and can not generate a voltage at lower speeds.To check with out a scanner is hard to do since spinning a tire by hand the same speed is hard to do when trying to compare voltages at a given rpm..Before you get to deep inti it- check to make sure the hub bearings are not loose and worn or your sorta wasting your time and going to double your labor.