Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

2000 s10: 4cyl..engin..key on to reprogram then it still wont start

on a 2000 s10 2.2 4cyl when you try to start it turns over the engin trys to fire but wont then the security light starts flashing then it wont even fire so i wait 15 min with the key on to reprogram then it still wont start but the security light is off then if i wait another 15 min with the key off it will start   then while driving the security light will come back on then the next time i turn it off i have to start all over again
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

lets try this

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Passlock Reprogramming Auto Learn

• The Body Control Module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. See BCM Programming/RPO Configuration.
  • If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn PASSLOCK(TM) sensor data code immediately. The existing VCM/PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password XXXXX the BCM is replaced.
  • If replacing a VCM/PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX upon receipt of a password XXXXX Once a password XXXXX is received, and a password XXXXX XXXXX a learn procedure must be performed to change this password XXXXX A VCM/PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password XXXXX will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Use this procedure after replacing:

• Passlock(TM) Sensor
  • BCM
  • VCM
  • PCM

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).