Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

How do I replace the key cylinder in a 97 Chevy Blazer?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Engine Electrical.

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
  3. Lower the hush and knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel.
    Object Number: 779  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  4. Remove the screws that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column.
  5. Remove the lower steering column trim cover by tilting the trim cover down and slide it back in order to disengage the locking tabs..
  6. Remove the screws that retain the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  7. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.
  8. Gently lift the upper trim cover up so that you may install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.

Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  9. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 779  Size: SH
  1. Align the upper steering column trim cover.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the screws that retain the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.

Tighten
    Tighten the upper steering column trim cover retaining screws to 1.4 N·m (12 lb in).

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  3. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

4. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the start position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  5. Align the lock cylinder and install into the lock cylinder housing.
  6. Install the lower steering column trim cover.
  7. Install the screws that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column.

Tighten
    Tighten the lower steering column trim cover retaining screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

8. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  9. Install the hush and knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel.
  10. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Engine Electrical.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THIS DIOES NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION. THE KEY IS MISSING. I NEED TO REMOVE THE EXISTING CYLINDER SO I CAN REPLACE IT WITH A CYLINDER THAT HAS A WORKING KEY
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
In that case you need to drill out the cylinder to allow it to be released or have a locksmith do the job. You want be sure not to drill too deep or off to one side so as to not damage the lock housing module or passlock system.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified