JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

2005 Chevy Malibu: Driver side..side outside door handle was broken

Customer Question

2005 Chevy Malibu - Driver side outside door handle was broken. Can you provide illustrated procedures to replace the broken part with a new one? How much is the original part to replace it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 years ago.

Door Handle Replacement - Outside

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the plug (1) to expose the T25 TORX head set bolt.
  2. Remove the bolt under the plug (1).
  3. Remove the outside cap (2).

1. Pull the outside handle (1) rearward and out of the door. Remove the outside handle.

1. Pull the gaskets (1) off the door.

1. Remove the T25 TORX head bolt (1). Remove the handle housing.
  2. Remove the trim panel.
  3. Remove the water deflector.
  4. Remove the lock cylinder.

1. Remove the handle rod from the lock.

1. Remove the door handle rod (1) from the housing (2).

Installation Procedure

1. Install the door handle rod (1) to the housing (2).

1. Install the handle rod to the lock. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the T25 TORX bolt (1) to the handle housing. Tighten the bolt to 3 N.m (27 lb in).

1. Install the handle and cap gaskets (1).

1. Position the outside handle into the door. Slide the handle forward.
  2. Install the lock cylinder.

1. Install the TORX head cap. Install the T25 TORX head bolt from the door frame side. Tighten the bolt to 3 N.m (27 lb in).
  2. Install the TORX plug.
  3. Install the water deflector.
  4. Install the trim panel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi John,

It looks I don't need to take out the inside door frame and replace it from inside.

Is it correct that I don't need to open the inside door panel ?

I just printed the illustrations out to work at home tonight or tomorrow after buying the part. How much do you estimate the original door handle?

The screw driver for T25 Torx bolts is the only the special tool I need?

Thank you so much

Duck Young

thats what it looks like im not sure on the part pice id guess in the 50 dollar range but my parts department is closed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

John,

When I click the link for removing and installation of trim panel in your answer, it redirect me to ALLDATA that requests logon ID and password.

How can I see the procedures for this jobs?

Thanks,

Duck Young

Garnish Molding Replacement - Center Pillar Lower
Notes

GARNISH MOLDING REPLACEMENT - CENTER PILLAR LOWER

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disable the roof rail SIR system, if equipped. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 8 in Restraint Systems.
  2. Remove the upper center garnish molding.
  3. Remove the front carpet retainer.
  4. Remove the rear carpet retainer.

1. Beginning at the top, remove the garnish molding by pulling forward.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Beginning at the bottom, install the garnish molding.
  2. Install the rear carpet retainer.
  3. Install the front carpet retainer.
  4. Install the upper center garnish molding.
  5. Enable the roof rail SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 8 in Restraint Systems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

John,

there are another link for carpet retainer I need to go but it requires me the ID and password XXXXX

Can you send me the procedures for this job?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I looked at the garnish molding replacement again and it doesn't appear to be about the trim panel. I am guessing you refer wrong information.

Can you confirm that you sent me the procedures for trim panel removal and installation to replace the door handle?

Duck Young

thats all the data there is

Trim Panel Replacement - Upper Extension (Front Door w/ Speaker)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the door trim panel.

1. Remove the upper trim panel extension from the door by pulling straight off at the top.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the electrical connector.
  2. Install the upper trim panel extension to the door.
  3. Install the door trim panel.

Door Trim Plate Replacement - Front

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the door trim panel.
  2. Release the tabs and push the door handle bezel from the door trim.

1. Disconnect electrical connector for the power door lock.

1. Remove the door lock switch from the bezel.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the door lock switch to the bezel.

1. Connect electrical connector for the power door lock.
  2. Install the door handle bezel to the door trim.
  3. Install the door trim panel.

Replacement - Side Front Door

Removal Procedure

1. Using a non-marring tool, remove the door trim fastener cover.
  2. Remove the door trim fasteners.

1. Remove the fasteners at the rear of the door trim by first pushing in the center of the fastener.

1. Using a non-marring tool to release the fasteners, remove the door trim.

1. If you are installing a new door trim, remove the trunk release switch from the door trim.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the trunk release switch, if necessary.

1. Install the door trim.
  2. Install the door trim fasteners to the rear of the door trim. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the door trim fasteners. Tighten the fasteners to 8 N.m (70 lb in).
  4. Install the door trim fastener cover.