GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

How do you release the spare tire on a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

How do you release the spare tire on a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche? The tire retainer will not the release.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. What I do is with the crank in and turned up tight, use a hammer to hit the bottom of the stare tire holder. This will help to release the secondary lock. If this does not work, then you need a new hoist and will need to cut the old one down. If you have no tire on the hoist, then you need to release the lock by lifting the rubber boot and moving the latch back at the top.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no tire is currently on the hoist. the cable and spring release but not the retainer. where is the rubber boot located? the ribbed rubber part of the retainer?
The rubber is above the tire. Try tightening the cable up and hit the bottom of the spring and lug as I suggested.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the cable is locked now. we cant tighten or loosen. should i push the cable back up and try the hammer method then? Not sure why the assembly wont release the retainer

If the cable is locked, cut the bucket for the tire and replace the hoist as the winch part has failed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not locked now. the cable moves about 5 inches total. counterclockwise a few rotations and it locks. clockwise a few rotations and it locks. In your opinion, has the winch failed? or should i continue to try?

Can you tighten the cable up and the tire tightens up as well

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no tire is currently on the cable yet. the retainer wont release but the cable and spring move about 5 inches down. problem now is that the winch locks and grinds when i turn it to loosen AND tighten, but allows a little movement. Essentially, the retainer kind of dangles there but wont completely release. it feel like there is just one last pin holding it up.
OK, tighten it up then hit the bottom when it is tight.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thats just the problem. it wont tighten all the way. close but not quite there. it just loosely dangles. what now?

OK, I understand. I thought it did. This means a new hoist. I suggest cutting the bucket that spans the hole for the spare tire. This is the easiest way I have found.