Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

chevrolet: do they have to be replaced after airbag deployment

sdm on a 05 cheverolet do they have to be replaced after airbag deployment
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yes. If the vehicle has been in a wreck the affected airbag(s) and SDM need to be changed as they are only good for one time use. I can get it in writing if you give me the make and model of your Chevy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its 2005 chevy 1500 .so gm does say they have to be replaced ..is there any way to reset them .....where are they located and can you get email me the page that says they must be replaced
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision

Accident With or Without Air Bag Deployment - Component Inspections

Caution: Proper operation of the SIR sensing system requires that any repairs to the vehicle structure return the vehicle structure to the original production configuration. Not properly repairing the vehicle structure could cause non-deployment in a collision or deployment for conditions less severe than intended.

After any collision, inspect the following components as indicated. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

Steering column--Perform the steering column accident damage checking procedures. Refer to Steering Column Accident Damage Inspection .
Instrument panel (I/P) knee bolsters and mounting points--Inspect the knee bolsters for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
I/P brackets, braces, etc.--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
Seat belts--Perform the seat belt operational and functional checks. Refer to Operational and Functional Checks .
Seats and seat mounting points--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
Passenger seat bottom equipped with passenger presence system (PPS) - Check for any DTCs or problems that may cause the PPS to not function properly.

Accident With Frontal Air Bag Deployment - Component Replacement and Inspections

After a collision involving frontal air bag deployment, replace the following components. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

Important: The front passenger seat is equipped with a PPS, which detects an occupant. If the requirements for disabling the I/P air bag are met then the PPS will communicate with the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) to disable/turn OFF the I/P air bag, even in an accident. For more information on the PPS refer to SIR System Description and Operation .

Inflatable restraint front end sensors
Inflatable restraint I/P module, if deployed and after performing the necessary inspections listed above.
Inflatable restraint SDM
Inflatable restraint steering wheel module

After a collision involving frontal air bag deployment, perform the following inspections.

Inspect the steering wheel module coil and coil wiring pigtail for melting, scorching, or other damage due to excessive heat.
Inspect the PPS for damage to the wiring or pressure system.

Perform these component inspections in addition to the inspections indicated above in Accident With or Without Air Bag Deployment. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

Sensor Replacement Guidelines

The SIR sensor replacement policy requires replacing sensors in the area of accident damage. The area of accident damage is defined as the portion of the vehicle which is crushed, bent, or damaged due to a collision. For example, a moderate collision where the front of the vehicle impacts a tree. If the vehicle has an SIR sensor mounted forward of the radiator, it must be replaced.

Replace the sensor whether or not the air bags have deployed.
Replace the sensor even if it appears to be undamaged.

Sensor damage which is not visible, such as slight bending of the mounting bracket or cuts in the wire insulation, can cause improper operation of the SIR sensing system. Do not try to determine whether the sensor is undamaged, replace the sensor. Also, if you follow a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) table and a malfunctioning sensor is indicated, replace the sensor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i didnt read anything in there about the sdm

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Look under frontal impact and what parts need to be replaced. The SDM is included in there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks dan one last questions where is this located on a 05 chevy half ton
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok got the sdm just haveing a hard time locateing it ..this is my last question ...ounce its answered ill will click accept thanks dan
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Below Driver Seat -- SIR Wiring

Object Number: 310047  Size: MF
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
(1)Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) Connector
(2)Power Seat Electrical Connector
(3)Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
(4)Instrument Panel Harness
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how come it still says service airbags i replaced both sensors ,airbags ,clockspring,sdm
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

You now need to take the truck to a GM dealer as they need to relearn the theft system and program the operational software into the new SDM using the GM Tech 2 scan tool and GM software. This is the only way to turn off the light and restore the SIR system to normal operating condition.

Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

Caution: Do not strike or jolt the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM). Before applying power to the SDM, make sure that it is securely fastened with the arrow facing toward the front of the vehicle. Failure to observe the correct installation procedure could cause SIR deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
  2. Remove the driver seat. Refer to Front Seat Replacement - Bucket .
  3. Remove the driver side door sill plate. Refer to Front Side Door Sill Plate Replacement .
    Object Number: 291625  Size: SH
  4. Fold back the carpet to access the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM).
    Object Number: 466123  Size: SH
  5. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (1) from the inflatable restraint SDM wiring harness connector (2).
  6. Push down the flex lock button (3) and slide the connector locking cover (4) to the open position.
    Object Number: 388339  Size: SH
  7. Disconnect the SDM wiring harness connector (1) from the SDM (3).
  8. Remove the SDM mounting fasteners.
  9. Remove the SDM from the vehicle.

Important: The following repair procedures should only be used in the event that the inflatable restraint SDM mounting studs and/or fasteners are damaged to the extent that the SDM may no longer be properly mounted.

10. Repair the fasteners using the following procedure:
    10.1. Remove the stripped nut and discard the nut.
    10.2. Drill out the weld spots to the weld stud from the floor pan side, then remove and discard the stud.
    10.3. Condition the floor panel attaching surface where the new stud is to be installed.
    10.4. Install new weld stud GM P/NNNN-NN-NNNNand clamp the weld stud.
    10.5. Migweld the stud at the drilled holes from above or below the floor pan, as required.
    10.6. Apply body sealer GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNaround any exposed openings.
    10.7. Install a new fastener GM P/N 11515933.

Installation Procedure

1. Remove any dirt, grease, or other contaminants from the mounting surface.
    Object Number: 388339  Size: SH
  2. Install the SDM (3) horizontally to the vehicle.
  3. Point the arrow on the SDM toward the front of the vehicle.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

4. Install the SDM mounting fasteners.

Tighten
    Tighten fasteners to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

5. Connect the SDM wiring harness connector (1) to the SDM.
    Object Number: 466123  Size: SH
  6. Push down the flex lock button (3) and slide the connector locking cover (4) to the close position.
  7. Install the connector position assurance (CPA) (1) to the inflatable restraint SDM wiring harness connector (2).
  8. Position the carpet to cover the inflatable restraint SDM.
  9. Install the door sill plate. Refer to Front Side Door Sill Plate Replacement .
  10. Install the driver seat. Refer to Front Seat Replacement - Bucket .

Important: The AIR BAG indicator may remain ON after the SDM has been replaced. DTC B1001 may set requiring the SDM part number to be set in multiple modules. If the indicator remains ON after enabling the SIR system, perform the diagnostic system check and follow the steps thoroughly to ensure that the SDM is set properly.

11. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .

Important: Use the scan tool to perform the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) relearn. Do not use the 30 minute manual learn procedure.

12. Reprogram the VTD system. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components .
  13. Refer to Control Module References for programming and setup information.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified