Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

2000 chevy tracker: headlights go..High beams..control module..relay

Customer Question

2000 chevy tracker, drl's work, headlights go out when turned on manually or by ambient light sensor. High beams do not work in constant on position(switch forward) but will work in temp(switch held back). Replaced DRL control module, DRL diode, headlight relay. What else could it be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Are you saying that the low beams do not work at all when the headlights are turned on (manually)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct, the low beams do not work when turned on manually or by the ambient light sensor
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

Below is the schematic for this part of the system.

graphic

I would suspect the Turn Signal/Headlight Switch, which I have highlighted above.

I would also want to verify that it is bad by putting a jumper between the input of that switch (Pin 19 of connector C216) and the output pin of that same connector (Pin 13 for low beam, Pin 20 for High beam). You will notice that there is a separate ground line that comes in when you hold the switch back (the Pass setting), so you could also just try a jumper from a good ground point to Pin 19 of that connector, when the headlight switch is ON. Here is the other part of the schematic that shows how the Headlamp Relay is used.

graphic

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I won't be able to try this till thursday or friday. I will get back to you then. Also did I make it clear that when you try to turn on headlights manually or if the ambient light sensor try's to turn them on,the headlights go out completely. The drl's don't work.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

In your first message you said that the DRLs do work.

Now you say the DRLs do not work.

Which is correct?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The DRL's are on until you turn on headlights manually or if the ambient light sensor try's to turn on headlights. Either one of the above shuts off headlights completley and only the headlights, parking lights work okay.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

OK - Thanks.

I just wanted to get that straight. So when the DRLs are on, the headlights are ON at a reduced level - correct? You have verfied that the low beam lamps are actually ON during the day?

I only ask because sometimes there is an indicator on the dash for DRL operation, but the lights are not actually on.

One other thing - Do you have a test light or multimeter you can use to do some testing?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the DRL's are on cause they are what I use for night driving.

Yes, I do have a multimeter for testing.

Thanks,
Jim
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

OK - Good.

How do you keep the DRLs on at night if the light sensor turns them off (just curious)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unplugged the light sensor.

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

OK - Thanks.

Please let me know when you get a chance to test that switch, and we can go from there.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

I also wanted to send along the circuit description for Headlights & DRL system. This might help explaing the sytem a little better.

Headlights/Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Circuit Description

The daytime running lamps (DRL) control module and the turn signal/headlamp switch control the headlamps. The H/L, L and H/L, R Fuses supply voltage to the headlamps, the high beam indicator and the headlamp relay through the DRL diode at all times.

With the switch in the HEAD position and the dimmer switch in low, ground is provided to the low beam filaments through the dimmer switch and the closed contacts of the Headlamp Relay to G200. The low beam filaments will light when the ground is supplied.

With the dimmer switch in the high position, the high beam filaments in the headlamps ground through the dimmer switch, through the closed contacts of the headlamp relay to G200. The high beam filaments will light when the ground is supplied. The ground path for the high beam Indicator is the same as the high beam filaments.

With the dimmer switch in the pass position, the high beam filaments in the headlamps ground through the dimmer switch to G200. The high beam filaments will light with ground supplied. The ground path for the high beam Indicator is the same as the high beam filaments.

The ON or START position of the ignition switch applies voltage to the DRL control module through the IG Fuse. The DRL control module permanently grounds to G200. The following conditions are required before the DRL system will work properly:

• Disengage the parking brake.
  • The DRL control module must not receive a ground signal from the generator. A ground signal from the generator indicates the engine is not operating and the generator is not charging the battery.
  • The turn signal/headlamp switch is either in the OFF or in the PARK position.
  • The ambient light sensor must not sense a low light condition.

When the parking brake engages, the parking brake switch closes. The switch provides a ground to the DRL control module. The ground disables the DRL operation. When the generator is not operating, a switch in the generator closes. The switch provides a ground to the DRL control module. The ground disables the DRL operation. When the turn signal/headlamp switch is in the HEAD position, a ground is provided to the DRL control module. This signal disables DRL operation.

When all of the conditions for DRL operation are met, the DRL control module provides a ground for the low beam filaments in the headlamps through the DRL control module to G200. The H/L, L and H/L, R Fuses supply the voltage to the headlamps at all times. The low beam filaments will light at 80 percent intensity.

The ON position of the ignition switch applies voltage to the ambient light sensor through the DEF Fuse. The ambient light sensor permanently grounds to G200. When the ambient light sensor senses a low light condition, a path to ground is provided to the headlamp relay through the ambient light sensor. This same signal is also provided to the DRL control module and disables DRL operation. Voltage is provided from the H/L Fuses, through the DRL diode to the coil of the headlamp relay. The relay contacts close providing a ground to the headlamps. The headlamps will light at full intensity.

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Greg,
If I jumper from Pin 13 or 20 to 19 nothing happens. If I connect pin 19 to ground then the headlights turn on and low and high beams work.
Sounds like I have a ground problem thru the headlight relay. But I replaced the relay. Could it be bad or the wrong one? I got it at an auto parts store.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jim
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jim,

It does sound like we are making progress and I kind of like it that the dimmer switch is not bad, as those can be hard to change sometimes.

What I would do is double-check that you have the right relay for the headlight relay. Then I would test to see if you can make it operate properly. You might need some help with the switching, but you should be able to turn the manual headlight switch to the headlight setting and hear (and feel) the relay turning ON and OFF when the switch is used.

You could also pull that relay out and test to see if you are seeing the right conditions for the headlight relay to be closing. That is, ground from the headlamp switch, and power from the DRL diode.

Please let me know what you find or if you need more information.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was the relay. Everything is working correctly.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for the accept and for letting me know what the issue was.

Good Job in finding and fixing it!

Take Care, Greg A.