Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

2000 Chevy Astro: the defroster vents so I..vacuum lines..canister

I have a 2000 Chevy Astro Van. All the air comes out of the defroster vents so I started checking vacuum lines. I found the canister and the lines and started to trace them back. As I did, they just sort of crumbled. Now, where is the originating point of the vacuum sorce and how do I get to it? Is there a schematic of this vacuum system?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

This is a common problem on your astro van. I have created a schematic for you below. Let me know if you have more questions

Scott K

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I get to the vacuum source on your schematic. Do I have to remove the inside stuff that goes over the engine?
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

You might have to in order to see it, but you can feel for it from the outside. just to clarify this is the GM schematic I just highlighted the path so it is easier to see. The vacuum lines run here from the factory.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can see the little rubber adapter. I can't get through there enough to pull on it though since it is right behind the condenser. Are you sure I can get to it if I pull all that interior stuff off?
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

I can't get through there enough to pull on it though since it is right behind the condenser

Just want to make sure we are on the same page, do you mean Compressor?

If so then yes you can get to from the inside.