Jeremy Phipps
Jeremy Phipps, Chevy Technician
Experience:  12+ years automotive diagnostic and repair experience, Chevrolet/GMC Truck fanatic. =D

Chevy venture: many newer dvds will not play at all

I have a 2003 Warner Bros edition chevy venture. The dvd player will only now play sporadically and many newer dvds will not play at all. I tried cleaning it but did not help. The cd player and radio work fine as do the speakers and dvd screen when we can get a movie to play. I have been looking online at some salvage parts distributors. The dvd player part number is XXXXX , the second line is NGMCWD400AXXX DVD ASM. I have found one that matches the part # XXXXX looks pretty beat up by the picture. I think I priced it at the dealer and it seemed pretty ridiculous - like over $650 I believe. The parts resellers are in the $100 - 200 range. Do I have any leeway in other factory dvd players w/different #'s for the venture (like 2002,04,05 & non WB edition vans) or do I need to stick with the above mentioned exact parts numbers? The van works great for us but now is probably only worth about $6-7K and spending close to $1K to fix the dvd player doesn't make much sense. Thanks - Phil
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jeremy Phipps replied 7 years ago.
As far as I can tell from my sources, all of the DVD players in the Ventures are basically the same (size, shape, and wiring), so you should be able to use one from any model. I don't show a template for the mounting holes, though, so you will have to double-check that with the company you order from.

Worst case scenario, even if they're not 100% identical, any stereo shop should be able to install it with necessary modifications for $40 or less.

Best of luck =)