Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience

2001 chevy impala: temp gauge..every once..cooling fans stay running

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chevy impala. The temp gauge does not work but every once in a blue moon. When its not the a/c does not work and the cooling fans stay running after the car is off. I have had the temp sending unit replaced but did not help the problem. It does seem that when i accelerate hard it will make the gauge work for a little bit but will shortly drop to no reading. Thaks for your time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question! There probly is a fault code stored in the PCM. When it sees a fault with the cooling system, the computer turns off the temp gage and turns on the fans. With out the fault code we are guessing what is wrong. Some times it is a bad thremostat or it is low on coolant. Ken
Expert:  Ken replied 7 years ago.
Alot of part stores will pull codes for free now. You may want to call around and see if there is one in your town. Thank You, Ken