BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

What does code readout P0650 mean and how do I fix it.

I have a 2003 chev truck Z-71. I have had engine lights come on in the past. I have a OBT II diognostic tool which has help me repair items before. Now I have a check engine light on and my OBT II reads P0650 which says MIL malfunction indicator light/ control circuit. So what the heck does that mean? Ken
HelloCustomer what size engine do you have in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its a 5.3. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or its just a coincidence but about four weeks ago I had the instrument gauge cluster rebuilt because the speedometer had quit working.
Okay. Does the check engine light seem to come on fine and stay on without and flashing or cutting out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It came on and stays on. Steady not flashing.
Okay. This code means that the PCM is detecting a problem in the malfunction lamp. It can be a problem within the instrument panel, the PCM, or the wiring in between. I would start by clearing the code to see if it stays off. If it does not then check the connection at the rear of the instrument panel for a loose or corroded connection.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did clear it and it came back on. Let me go outside and check the connection because as I said I did have the instrument cluster out about a month ago so it does seem to be too much of a coincidence that a code like that would come on. I'm wondering if when the instrument cluster was rebuilt they could have done something inside to cause this problem. It was about three weeks after I reinstalled it that the light came on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did clear it and it came back on. Let me go outside and check the connection because as I said I did have the instrument cluster out about a month ago so it does seem to be too much of a coincidence that a code like that would come on. Im wondering if when the instrument cluster was rebuilt they could have done something inside to cause this problem. It was about three weeks after I reinstalled it that the light came on. 2:40 pm I just unplugged and plugged wiring harness into instrument cluster, cleared codes and now Im going to test drive. Ill let you know what happen.
Okay. Let me know what happens. If this occured after the rebuild then this can be a possibility.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Bobbyss let me know if you received your $15.00. There may have been some confusion. When I hit accept it tried to use my old credit card. I put in my new # XXXXX it was on a different screen so I dont know if it went to you or not. Ken